Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd start a thread chronicling the progress I am making on my new-to-me 1984 GL1200A. The bike is not without its faults, but given that I only paid $1000 for it I think I'll still be ahead if I can get it back on the road for under $1500 in repairs.

So far here is a list of items that need addressed:

1) New fork seals

The left fork blew shortly before I picked the bike up. I went ahead and ordered new seals, dust caps, and copper bushes for both forks. Since I'm digging into the forks anyway, I have a set of progressive springs on the way as well.

2) Replace timing belts

A no brainer for any old Goldwing

3) Carb clean/rebuild and sync

Pretty self-explanatory. A 30 year old bike almost certainly will need the carbs addressed.

4) Ignition switch

The '84 GL1200s apparently had a recall with the ignition switch where the switch would cut out, especially while turning. Because it is a safety issue Honda is apparently still honoring the recall, the only question being whether or not I'll be able to get a dealer to actually do the work. If all else fails, I'm sure I can rig up some toggle switches and relays to completely eliminate the ignition switch. The locked glove box might be a good place to install said toggle switches.

5) New SS brake lines

Because I know the current brake lines are 30 years old...

6) Repaint

Not only does the bike have a poor amateur paint job as it is, but its black! Not a good color for Arizona. I'm thinking a burnt orange paint scheme, but I'm open to suggestions!

Current Status: Right fork is apart while I wait for the bushes (that I forgot to order with the fork seals). I'll be doing one thing at a time so I can minimize the amount of parts laying around.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Did the bike run when you purchased it? There was one that sold in Dayton Ohio that I missed and it went a little below the asking price of 1000.00. It had original paint,but was kept outside under a cover. The bike ran.

There is another 'wing for 600.00 that is an Interstate, but that is an '83 and not in running condition. The bike is all farkled with chrome everywhere, but it is not for me.

Good idea on not taking the bike completely apart. If you can wrench and ride an old bike, it is much more likely to be completed than tearing it all apart and not having the time to get it back together. Of course Shredder can do it ,but he is the exception to the rule.

Keep us posted. It looks like a good project

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It ran, but rough. I'm sure its the carbs, and shouldn't be anything a good cleaning and syncing won't cure. The biggest issue I think I'm faced with is the ignition switch. I'm thinking if I use a toggle switch and a few relays to completely bypass the ignition switch I should be okay. My plan is to mount the relays and toggle switch in the glove compartment somehow, so at least they will be someone protected by the locking door.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/sis.html?_nkw=NOS Honda Ignition Contact Base 6 Prongs 2 Balls CX500 35101 415 007&_itemId=171107424084

Here is one example of the switch base for your motorcycle. There seem to be plenty of NOS parts around for your bike. Some of them have the contact base and also the associated plastic connections and wiring included as a complete unit for maybe 50 bucks or so. Your original key and lock cylinder are re-used with the switch contacts.

I found this by googling 35104-MG9-305 which is the Honda part number for the switch contact base. Hope this helps.

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll have to look into that part number to make sure that is the replacement ignition switch and not a NOS pre-recall switch.

Today I got the right fork rebuilt. It sure was a pain in the arse getting the upper bush seated. By comparison the seal itself was a breeze. I also got the left fork disassembled, but I was running out of light so I'll leave the rest for tomorrow.

After disassembling the bodywork even more, I've decided to leave the paint job as is, because it will be a nightmare to get the front fairing disassembled. Maybe that's for the best, though. I won't have to worry about scratching a new paint job, and having a less attractive bike might deter someone from wanting to steal it...

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I finally got the fork seals replaced and I went to reinstall the front wheel. I installed the axle and barely snugged up the pinch bolts before tightening the axle nut. I tightened the axle nut, then finished tightening down the pinch bolts when I noticed oil leaking from the axle. Are the wheel bearings shot? (Why would there even be oil there anyway? Has the bearing grease deteriorated that much?)

Not sure how to proceed at this point. Any suggestions are welcome!

(Sorry for the crappy photo.)

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, probably just old grease. If there's no play in the wheel bearing you could probably just repack them, though honestly new front bearings aren't really that expensive. I usually replace them.

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fair enough, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'll put that on the list of little things to address since its just the front tire (rear would be a different story, of course). I want to focus on the big things first, like actually getting the bike running, before getting lost in the details and small things.

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a little more done to the Wing today. I replaced the timing belts and removed the ugly auxiliary light mounts (lights are trashed and need a major wiring overhaul). I'll probably end up mounting them to the engine guards if/when I rewire them.

In the process of removing the radiator I broke some 30 year old dry rotted rubber hoses, so I'll have to replace those before I reassemble everything. The timing belts were surprisingly easy to do, however.

1) New fork seals

2) Replace timing belts

2a)Replace various rubber hoses

2b) Replace fan switch

3) Carb clean/rebuild and sync

4) Ignition switch

5) New SS brake lines

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a busy day today, but did manage to do a little bit of work on the Wing while waiting for parts from Bike Bandit. I removed the carbs and tomorrow may start breaking into them (or I may just wait until I get the booklet from Randakks). Overall the carbs were pretty easy to get out. Getting them in may be a different story, but I expect it to be easier than the Bandit.

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, long time no update! Well, I didn't get to work on the bike as much as I had wanted these past few months, but the good news is I finally got the carbs reinstalled, the radiator reinstalled and filled, and fired the ole girl up today! She ran MUCH better than before -- the carb cleaning/rebuild really did wonders.

Here's my updated maintenance list:

• Replace fork seals / Progressive springs (done)
  • Replace air filter (done)
  • Replace fuel filter (done)
  • Timing belt change (done)
  • Clean/rebuild carbs (done)
  • Replace fan switch (done)
  • Stainless steel brake lines (in progress, only have rear brake to do now)
  • Bleed brakes (in progress, front brakes are bled)
  • Carb sync
  • Engine/drive shaft oil change
  • Grease final drive splines
  • Address ignition switch (in progress)
  • Hardwire stator and rectifier wires
  • Reinstall horn
  • Lube throttle cables (done)
  • Lube choke cable
  • +/- new rear shocks, pending test ride -- I will most likely be upgrading to Progressive shocks
I still have a few minor things to do (compared to the ordeal that the carb rebuild was...), but I'm a million times closer to having a running bike than I was before!

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A few more items cross off the list. I'm hoping to get the carbs synced tomorrow, then take it for a test ride Sunday.

• Bleed brakes (in progress, front brakes are bled)
  • Carb sync
  • Address ignition switch (done)
  • Hardwire stator and rectifier wires (done)
  • Reinstall horn (done)
  • Lube choke cable (done)
  • +/- new rear shocks, pending test ride -- I will most likely be upgrading to Progressive shocks

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
  • Bleed brakes (done)
  • Carb sync (done)
  • Reinstall horn (done)
  • Progressive rear shocks
I got the carbs synced today and the bike runs pretty well. I took it around the block for a test ride, and other than the unfamiliar ergonomic (and the god awful heel-toe shifter) it went pretty well.

I did noticed when I got back that one of the front brake lines is leaking where the line enters the banjo bolt fitting. I've already contacted Randakk's to see if I can get a replacement.

The goal for tomorrow is to get the final drive relubed and change the oil.

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
  • Bleed brakes (done)
  • Carb sync (done)
  • Engine oil change
  • Final drive oil change (done)
  • Grease final drive splines (done)
  • Reinstall horn (done)
  • Progressive rear shocks
Final drive oil replaced and splines greased. I'll have to pick up some engine oil this week. I've got a set of Progressive shocks ordered from Bike Bandit, so hopefully next weekend the bike will be fully reassembled and ready to ride!

·
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
  • Bleed brakes (done)
  • Carb sync (done)
  • Engine oil change (done)
  • Final drive oil change (done)
  • Grease final drive splines (done)
  • Reinstall horn (done)
  • Progressive rear shocks (done)
Well, with the exception of the rear stainles steel brake line that I'll do when I have to change the rear brake pad, the bike is ready for its first shakedown ride tomorrow!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts