Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first refurb. i am a car mechanic so i know my way around a tool box.
it is a 1983 Virago 920cc needs "starter clutch assembly" to run. but im also going to overhaul the engine and replace the exhaust. does anyone know where i can get good priced parts for this bike?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Give these guys a try. Just picked up a replacement headlight socket boot cheaper than anyone else I could find. Very reasonable shipping charges too.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1983/XV920K/STARTER+CLUTCH/parts.html

p.s. If the starter is just noisy (tin can full of rocks), make sure the battery is putting out good current, & replace #2 & #8 in the parts diagram. I had a 1981 Non-Virago XV920. I also shimmed the starter, another shadetree remedy for the lousy starter.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hello cbdallas. Your XV920 looks really good. How is it running?

Hello Masika. I was going to say that there is no starter clutch so I looked it up and the parts inside the left case cover are called the starter clutch. I didn't even know that. To read my comments on this bike search "81 XV920 Starter Issues" on this forum. My comments on starter clutch are wrong but the tips on starter fix will work if you do all of them. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I actually sold that bike a few years ago. Loved it for the gobs of low-end torque, hated it for what that seat did to my hind-quarters after 30 minutes or longer. Also strongly disliked that stupid enclosed chain.

Overall, it was a really good bike once I cleaned it up & got the little nagging stuff fixed. I remember particularly well that it never did like being 'choked', but always started right up & idled without it. Never seen an engine with a carb do that, before or since.

Search the internet & YouTube for info on the various things you can do to help the starting system. A fresh, fully-charged battery is definitely key. Mine was still a bit noisy after the 'fixes' but it became a lot easier to start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
sorry about the "bigger hammer" admin. it wouldnt let me post my own thread until i had 3 posts somewhere else ^^. and as for the starter noise. its not noisy it just spins free. wont engage. the bike im rebuilding looks exactly like the one in your picture (cbdallas) i will get some before pictures on here soon. does anyone know the year range which exhaust will fit this bike? or maybe a good after market.

[edit] never mind i cant post pictures until ive made at least 15 total posts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am missing the battery cover. there is a plug there but nothing to plug it to. is it just a switch to connect to battery cover? picture in link.
h ttp://imageshack.us/f/844/20120320130041.jpg/

·
Registered
295 Posts
cbdallas: I always loved that bike. Plus you never see another one coming at you. I sold it a long time ago. At the time the electrical parts I needed were almost as much as the next bike I bought.

Masika: I looked at the link that you posted. I am afraid I can't help you any on that. My XV920 is long gone and I can't come up with any answers from my memory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts