Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the bike 1st issue,won't crank unless I jump using starter relay,second gas tank has 2 lines coming out of fuel gauge unit,and1 out of the pet,also the line coming out of the pet I believe is a vacc line hat goes to the carbs but there is already a line on the carbs

·
Six-String Jockey
1,860 Posts
For the second issue. There should be two lines going to/from the fuel petcock. One is a vacuum line that allows fuel to flow when the engine is running. The other should go to the carbs for fuel delivery.

Remember, if a bike with a vacuum-operated fuel petcock has been sitting for about two weeks or more, the gas in the float bowls may have evaporated, so always put the petcock on "Prime" for 30 seconds or so to fill up the float bowls before you try and start it. Always put it back on "On" or "reserve" if needed. DO NOT leave it on "Prime".

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
See if you can find a new or used factory service manual, it will save a lot of time and $. The crank issue is possibly a switch on the clutch lever; these can usually be easily bypassed by unplugging the switch and jumping with a short length of wire.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not cranking

Thanks just pulled the clutch lever in while pressing the start button and now I can hear the starter relay kicking in,just hopefully get the new battery tomorrow,the bike is in neutral and the neutral light is on so that might be my issue will post results tommorow

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bike not crankng

Just used my rider mower battery to see if she would crank ,only would if I jumped starter relay,so back to first step get battery,then start checking switches and wiring and last starter motor,an other thoughts so far had some good suggestions,glad I came on his forum,thanks

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
If the starter relay clicks, but the starter motor doesn't run, then the contacts inside the relay are burnt. That, or the battery is too weak; as you tried another battery, that may not be true, unless the substitute battery doesn't have enough cranking Amps to work. If you have a Voltmeter, measure the Volts at the starter relay when you press the button. Both large terminals should stay above about 11V when cranking. You can use any similar starter relay (solenoid) that will fit, BTW.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not cranking

Just checked starter relay for input and output,have11.4 at input post and nothing coming out of output post,checked switch on handlebars seem yo have power their,guess going for new starter relay

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
*some* can be opened, and the moving plate that forms the contact flipped, and the contacts cleaned with a points file, and will still work for years. That's if you can't find one that will fit, but there are so many, from small tractors to other motorcycles, that a new one is usually the better solution.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still same problem

New starter relay installed today and have same problem,power to battery side of relay but nothing on out side going to starter,checked switch on handle bars with my light button seems open and close,if I pull the clutch lever in I get the click from the relay if I leave clutch lever out I get no clicking at all,on the relay their is a yellow and green wire soldered to it,that has power,then their is a black and white that has nothing

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
When the relay is off, there is no power on the starter motor terminal, just the battery side; only when it is active should you measure voltage at that terminal.

Black/white is ground, yellow/green is the power from the starter button, through the clutch switch. When there is power on the y/g wire (button pushed, clutch disengaged), and the b/w wire is grounded, then the relay should pull in. At that time, the large red wire from the battery should be connected to the large wire to the starter motor. So, connect your Voltmeter to both large terminals of the starter relay; it should read battery voltage, hopefully about 12.6V. Now, pull the clutch lever and press the starter button; if the relay is working, it will click, and the Voltage reading should drop to near 0V, and the motor should crank (the relay shorts the two large terminals together, applying the battery power directly to the starter motor).

To free one hand, you can either bypass the clutch switch, or bind the lever to the grip, so you can push the starter button while verifying the starter relay is activating. BTW, the click you hear could just be the fuel pump.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not crankng

With clutch lever engaged I get the click or hear the relay pull,with the clutch lever out ,no click from relay,when starter button is pushed,I would think when the starter button is pushed I would read voltage from both sides of the relay

·
Six-String Jockey
1,860 Posts
Ok, Neil - This should be pretty easy to diagnose. I have seen MANY brand new parts that don't work, so . . . Get a set of jumper cables, hook a red clamp of the cables to the side of the relay that goes TO THE STARTER MOTOR. Then briefly touch the other post on the relay that is connected to the battery with the other red clamp.

If the starter motor turns - your relay is bad. Replace it

If the starter motor does not turn - the starter motor is probably bad (or the cable going to it)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cranking

Bumming,when I first started this thread an trying two relays can't get starter to crank,same issue power to battery side of relay and nothing to starter side,now even if I jump the starter relay now the starter doesn't crank,time for a new starter,still bugs me though even if I put a new starter in I will probably have the same issue of Constant power to just the battery side of the relay,tommorow going try temporary wire to starter

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
With clutch lever engaged I get the click or hear the relay pull,with the clutch lever out ,no click from relay,when starter button is pushed,I would think when the starter button is pushed I would read voltage from both sides of the relay
Nope, not at all. The power goes through the starter button AND the clutch switch (in series), so both have to be in the on position to get Voltage to the y/g wire. You should never see Voltage on the b/w wire, since that is ground for the relay coil. When the relay clicks (assuming it IS the relay you hear), the relay should connect battery power from one large terminal to the other. If that doesn't happen, the relay is defective. If you do get voltage on both large terminals when the relay clicks, and the starter motor does not run, your starter motor may just need new brushes; not unusual for a starter motor that has failing brushes to run sometimes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool! Just replaced wire from starter relay to starter and now starter cranks,slow but cranks but crappy battery is 12.50 volts,but still have to jump relay

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the relay from eBay,theirs a few more on eBay,Suzuki dealer has a universal one what do ya think,bites taking chances on old parts

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
Since you now have two relays that, apparently, don't work, can you take one apart, just to see why? It's usually not hard, and you may be able to make it work again.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts