Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently purchased a 1983 Kawasaki Spectre 550cc direct drive with 8500miles on it, the thing was left sitting for 15 years under a pavilion before I came into my possession.

Anyway I’ve gotten it to turn over and idle, while on a stand I can shift and go through the gears but when I get down to reverse the wheel still spins the direction of forward instead of as intended.

While on the road if I try putting it in gear the second I release my clutch it stalls same thing if it’s on a stand and I try putting a board under the tire to simulate a force being applied to the engine it Boggs down and stalls.

Any help/tricks would be greatly appreciated as this is my first motorcycle, thank you

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,248 Posts
@Yardman0132

It would sure be nice and appreciated, if you would introduce yourself to the community in the New Member Introduction forum. Folks tend to open up more if they believe they know someone just a little bit. 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Yardman0132

It would sure be nice and appreciated, if you would introduce yourself to the community in the New Member Introduction forum. Folks tend to open up more if they believe they know someone just a little bit. 👍

Sorry, jumped on here super fast to try to get some help, I’m just frustrated I’ve had it for only 2 weeks and have had the carb apart at least 6-8 times till I finally got it to run. Like most people I feel like I’m ganna climb a wall if I don’t get out of the house and do something.

·
24,248 Posts
No problem. Maybe you will hang around and be able to help others. (y)

·
Ace Tuner
2,988 Posts
Anyway I’ve gotten it to turn over and idle, while on a stand I can shift and go through the gears but when I get down to reverse the wheel still spins the direction of forward instead of as intended.
Not sure of what you're saying here. Please try again.

simulate a force being applied to the engine it Boggs down and stalls.
My guess would be that you still have a carburetor problem. Have you made sure that all the ports (passages) inside the carb body itself are clean and clear?
Also, are the slide diaphragms in good shape and sealing at the carb caps?

S F

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure of what you're saying here. Please try again.

My guess would be that you still have a carburetor problem. Have you made sure that all the ports (passages) inside the carb body itself are clean and clear?
Also, are the slide diaphragms in good shape and sealing at the carb caps?

S F
The part that wasn’t clear say your looking at the bike and to go forward the wheel has to spin clockwise but when I put it in reverse the wheel still spins clockwise

·
Ace Tuner
2,988 Posts
A 550 Spectre with a reverse gear?
I probably missed something...

S F

·
24,248 Posts
I reread the original post and I think I might have figured out what is meant by reverse Semifast. He talks about being able to go UP thru the gears then says he has problems with reverse. I believe he is saying he has problems going DOWN thru the gears. What I can't figure out is just how it's not going down thru the gears. Does it not go down any or skip gears or what? He also says it bogs down. Is it possible it never goes up and has been and is still in the top gear? And why the need for a board under the tire to simulate being on the ground? Why not leave it on the sidestand where it will be on the ground? Does it not idle there? Too many questions but I think I figured out what reverse he's referring to. Maybe you can make more sense of it now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the side of the engine it says in this order
N
So I’m guessing I have 6 forward Gears 1 neutral gear and 1 reverse gear and from neutral I shift up to increase speed

it can idle in neutral and when shifting through gears I get to neutral and the indicator light comes on the dash

·
24,248 Posts
Guess I'm wrong then. :(

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,578 Posts
You say you can start in neutral and shift up through the gears and end up in neutral again? Sounds like it rolls over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You say you can start in neutral and shift up through the gears and end up in neutral again? Sounds like it rolls over.
No sorry bad explanation on my part, it goes into neutral when it should, if I’m in 6th and try to got further to the non-existent 7th the shifter won’t move/click, only Moves if I downshift no rolling over or false neutrals

·
14,578 Posts
Understood. I am just trying to figure out what is going on. So we know that is is a standard shifter first up to sixth. I assume it works in the other direction as well.

Okay so now explain what happens if you go from neutral down. Can you go down more than one positions? Is the bike running, of so can you tell the difference in the gear selection to wheel speeed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Understood. I am just trying to figure out what is going on. So we know that is is a standard shifter first up to sixth. I assume it works in the other direction as well.

Okay so now explain what happens if you go from neutral down. Can you go down more than one positions? Is the bike running, of so can you tell the difference in the gear selection to wheel speeed?
Yes The bike is running and when shifting into different gears the wheel spins faster or slower depending on the gear (as it should) and when in neutral the wheel free spins if I try to down from neutral it only goes the one gear down and no further gears (side of the engine only shows 1 gear under neutral) but I’m not sure if it’s a high/low gear or if it’s suppose to be a reverse gear because the wheel still spins as if it’s trying to push the bike forward when in this gear

·
Ace Tuner
2,988 Posts
1 <
N
So I’m guessing I have 6 forward Gears 1 neutral gear and 1 reverse gear and from neutral I shift up to increase speed
I'm guessing the " 1 " you're seeing on the engine case is above the " N " is a misprint of sorts.
The shifting pattern order would be (or should be) 1 down and 5 up for your six speed trans.
There is NO reverse.

shows 1 gear under neutral) but I’m not sure if it’s a high/low gear or if it’s suppose to be a reverse gear because the wheel still spins as if it’s trying to push the bike forward when in this gear
Still thinking misprint but you can check this by shifting down into 1 below the N, go for a ride making note of engine speed/sound then shift up to 1 above the N and compare engine speed to 1 below the N.
If those bikes came with a high and low 1st gear, I've forgotten all about it. (Possible).

S F

·
24,248 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of that 1 thru 6 gear thing on the engine case. I've never heard of a high/low 1st gear. Porky might know if ever there was such a thing since he's have one of just about everything made. I think there was a split transmission in one model but it affected all the gears...I thought.

·
Ace Tuner
2,988 Posts
a split transmission in one model but it affected all the gears.
Yes, I believe there was a 900cc Honda that had a duel range transmission.
In the low range all of the 'regular' gears were in the lower ratio. In the high range all were a higher ratio.
There was a separate shifter, and gears, used to operate and run the high / low range transmission that was independent of the conventional transmission.

I'd like to see a picture of that 1 thru 6 gear thing on the engine case.
Me too.

S F

·
14,578 Posts
I think you might be on to something SF. From neutral how many time can you change gears upward 5 or 6?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts