Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding my friends 1983 Honda xl200r I tore the shift lever and part of the metal piece going into the case completely off. I don't have much experience and know this fix will have me take the engine out and take apart the case... It's my friends spare bike and is moving soon so I want to figure a plan of action. I don't know if I have the time to fix it and don't know if it would be worth taking into the shop to get fixed. Don't know how much it would cost the bike isn't worth much
Wondering if I should maybe part it out and pay off the rest? What do you all think thanks hope the pictures work.

· Ace Tuner
4,927 Posts
You don't have to remove the engine or split the case to replace the shift shaft / shift mechanism.
You will need to remove the right side engine cover and clutch to access the mechanism. With the clutch removed you can slide the shift shaft out the right side of the engine.

· Ace Tuner
4,927 Posts
My parts supplier does not show a parts diagram for this 1983 model so I can't see the parts breakdown and be specific about exactly what type of parts are in this machine.
I've slept a few times since I've done one of those bikes but generally....
Clean the broke part of the shift shaft. If the end near the break is bent you'll need to grind some material away to gain enough clearance so the shaft can clear the case as you slide it out.
I'm thinking the clutch is the only component that has to be removed in order to slide the shift shaft out. I don't know if the kick start mech will be in the way or not.
Basically the shaft has to slide straight out so anything in the way of doing that has to be removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.