Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got this bike. 1983 honda vt750c. Changed out old oil and filter. Rebuilt starter with a brand new starter rebuild kit and bought a brand new battery. The engine turns by spinning the rear tire and if you take out at least 2 of the plugs the starter will turn engine. The second you have all plugs in, the starter cranks for almost a turn and then stops. Then cranks almost a turn and stops never actually turning the engine like its suppose to. Iv also tried adding a teaspoon of oil into plug holes but same results. Tried a wire straight to starter with same results. Cleaned all contacts from ground to battery positive and negative. Jumped solenoid with no different results. Im curious what my next step should be. I dont want to buy a new starter unless i have to. Battery shows 13.2 volts. Any suggestions at where to go next would be very welcomed.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Well, were it me, I would turn the engine over a bunch w/o the plugs in just to eject as much oil as possible.. just in case. Keep some rags over the plug holes to catch the mess.. just in case it's hydro-locking with the plugs in.. (a long shot, but easy enough to try.) Beyond that, it might be time to take the starter back off and go over it again.

Edit: Actually, what's the history of the bike? Is this a project which has sat for a while?

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
What does the battery show in voltage while trying to start the bike? Should not drop below 9.5 volts.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
First of all, taking out all the plugs and checking for hydrolock is an excellent idea. From what you describe,the engine spins and hits a tight spot. Goes one revolution and hits a tight spot. Lets Hope and pray that hydrolock is the problem and something not more serious.

If it is not a hydrolock or not the starter, what the previous owner said is totally irrelevant. Sure it ran last fall until it quit running last fall.If your bike has not ran since you bought it,you are starting at zero knowledge and that is how you must proceed.Honda has a troubleshooting chart for your symptom, and there are some ugly things that could cause your problem

Bent valves. Tight bearings at the top of the rod or the bottom. Valves out of spec for clearance. Carbon build up making the piston tight at the top of the stroke. With all the plugs removed,the engine should turn with a given amount of force to the rear wheel with no tight spots.

I hope that this worst case scenario stuff is wrong. I also hope that some of the more talented wrenches on here like Wintersol,One Eyed Jack,and Eye M no Angel and many more un-named will chime in with more advice on how to test your bike for problems without tearing it down.

I'm pullin for ya.........Slum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news. I got a starter off a guy and installed it. She fired right up and stays running. So am very happy. Now just gotta fix wiring and make sure everything is up to par. Thank you guys very much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts