Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my first bike off of craigslist a few months ago and am just now having the time to start to work on it. I had never touched a motorcycle or had any prior engine maniacal knowledge before this project. I knew it did not start when I got it but it was most likely just the battery that needed to be replaced and the carbs cleaned. Jump back to the day after I bought it, my dumb ass thought it would be a good idea to try to cold start it by just pressing the start button. I had no idea what a choke or clutch was at the time so I had no idea how to start it and was just flipping switches on and off. I might have even left the choke on for a few days. When I tried to "start" the bike, it would move forward slowly without turning over and drip liquid from somewhere. Pretty sure it was gas from the carbs. I now realize I was stupid trying to cold start this thing with 6 month old gas, but I want to get it running and I need advice. What did I mess up and what do I need to do to fix it? I've already taken the gas tank off, drained the carbs, charged up the battery, and replaced the spark plugs. I have not tried to start it since doing this. I tried to take out the carbs to hand clean them, but this model makes it so I'd have to take off the radiator and a bunch of other stuff I'm not ready to do yet. I've bought a can of Seafoam in the hopes that this will clean them out. What else should I do that might help get this thing working? I'd also appreciate any other advice a complete beginner should know. Thank you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Best advice: get a service manual. And in your case an OEM owner's/rider's manual, the one that originally came with the bike, would be a good idea.

Best choice is an OEM manual but a Clymer or Haynes is adequate. You can find these on eBay. Do an internet search -- sometimes you can find a soft-copy PDF file.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts