Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tore down my 650 as far as it'll go, and the crankcase STILL won't budge. Every exposed bolt is taken out, and looked over multiple times. No way I'm forgetting a bolt. I've taken a rubber mallet and a gasket scraper to a meaty edge to it and got a good portion cracked loose, but somewhere around the clutch packs and the crankshaft it's sealed tight, wouldn't budge AT ALL. Am I missing something? Please help!

·
Ace Tuner
3,549 Posts
You gotta take the clutch apart, all of it, and remove it.

Behind the clutch "basket" there is a transmission shaft bearing retainer. The bolts that hold the bearing retainer in place span the upper and lower crankcase halves.
The retainer usually looks kinda like a half moon flat plate and is made of steel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Behind the clutch "basket" there is a transmission shaft bearing retainer. The bolts that hold the bearing retainer in place span the upper and lower crankcase halves.
The retainer usually looks kinda like a half moon flat plate and is made of steel.
Okay awesome thanks, I tried wiggling the clutch basket out and it seems to be stuck. There's no bolts to take out, and all the disks are removed. Any advice on pulling stuck baskets?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Okay awesome thanks, I tried wiggling the clutch basket out and it seems to be stuck. There's no bolts to take out, and all the disks are removed. Any advice on pulling stuck baskets?
picture

Attachments

·
Ace Tuner
3,549 Posts
The primary drive gear behind/attached to the clutch housing (basket) is probably hanging on some part of the crankcase casting.
To make room for removal, and allow the housing to move around some, you have to "work" the center bearing race (for the clutch housing bearing) toward you and out.
You can see the bearing race in the pic right against (around) the splines on the transmission shaft.
Shake, move, push the housing back and forth a little while you have a magnet on the race pulling it toward you.
You can finally slip the race out.
After it is out that will give you enough room to remove the housing by moving it in whatever direction is needed to clear the crankcase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts