Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Motorcycle Guru's of the internet

I could really use some help troubleshooting some problems with my bike. Just to start off i am a new rider so go easy on me.

Long story short bought the bike and for about a month it ran great. Started to have some issues with backfiring so took it to a mechanic. After two months of work the mechanic told me the tank was full of rust and that the bike just sat to long and would keep having problems. He cleaned the carbs but suspected that more stuff might have gotten inside. Being the stubborn person i am i've decided to try and fix some of the issues myself. This is what i've done so far.

New-ish gas tank installed (cleaned out with apple cider vinegar)
New fuel filter
New spark plugs
Seafoam in the Carbs (just to clean out any remaining gunk)

Current problem is i just can't get the bike to start. Every time i hit the starter the bike tries to turn on but never fully turns on. If i try to many times the battery dies and i have to take it to an auto parts store to get recharged. Once the carbs started leaking gas but that has never happened again. I'm just trying to find things to try and locate where my problem/problems are coming from. I would appreciate any help. Please ask as many questions as need.

Thanks
New Rider Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can i ask you a question then? So i decided to take off my new ish tank and found out that during the cleaning process some flash rust built up and that has been whats been going into the carbs. Problem solved on one side but now i still need to removed the carbs, get them cleaned and properly reinstalled while cleaning out the gas tank again. All i've heard about the 1980's magna carbs is that they are a nightmare. I've never done any mechanical work but it seems like something i can do. Any tips on this whole process? Also how can i make sure i've gotten all the rust out of the line so this doesn't happen again?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
This recent thread deals with your problem.

https://www.motorcycleforum.com/71-honda/229114-honda-magna-v45-750cc-1982-a.html

Now, for the fun stuff. There are some plastic fuel tees that might break, and if the o-rings are dried out, which they are, it can get expensive. The Magna I helped with was done by a shop and I printed out the instructions and helped with taking pictures and things like that. The bike is still on the road, and no, the mechanic never wants to do one again.

My money is on the idle jets hidden behind the welsh plugs. The mechanic drilled a small hole in the plug and threaded a sheet metal screw in and then pulled it with a vice grips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go online to v4muslebike.com
There you download the owners manual.
There is also a complete written article on the same issue u have. Cheers...

I could really use some help troubleshooting some problems with my bike. Just to start off i am a new rider so go easy on me.

Long story short bought the bike and for about a month it ran great. Started to have some issues with backfiring so took it to a mechanic. After two months of work the mechanic told me the tank was full of rust and that the bike just sat to long and would keep having problems. He cleaned the carbs but suspected that more stuff might have gotten inside. Being the stubborn person i am i've decided to try and fix some of the issues myself. This is what i've done so far.

New fuel filter
New spark plugs

Current problem is i just can't get the bike to start. Every time i hit the starter the bike tries to turn on but never fully turns on. If i try to many times the battery dies and i have to take it to an auto parts store to get recharged. Once the carbs started leaking gas but that has never happened again. I'm just trying to find things to try and locate where my problem/problems are coming from. I would appreciate any help. Please ask as many questions as need.

Thanks
New Rider Brad
Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I used to own a 82 V45 Magna. I would recommend putting a inline fuel filter between the tank and the carbs. I would clean the carbs again if necessary and monitor the inline filter (try to get one that is transparent or semi-transparent so you can monitor the junk coming from the tank. I used to drain the fuel in the winter time because I just kept it in the garage and used a smart charger to keep the battery up. When I went to ride it in the spring, I would start it and run it for about a minute then shut it off, turn off the fuel and let it sit a day till the gaskets swelled up again and it wouldn't leak gas the rest of the summer. Maybe this is obvious but it does have a choke and also you can drain the bowls with a long straight screwdriver, 2 from one side of the bike and 2 from the other.
Hope this helps,
Regards,

·
Registered
2 Posts
This site requests you introduce yourself as one of your first few posts so people know you are serious and not a hit and run type poster. Introductions found here ... https://www.motorcycleforum.com/forums/new-member-introduction.305/
Hi, I used to own a 82 V45 Magna. I would recommend putting a inline fuel filter between the tank and the carbs. I would clean the carbs again if necessary and monitor the inline filter (try to get one that is transparent or semi-transparent so you can monitor the junk coming from the tank. I used to drain the fuel in the winter time because I just kept it in the garage and used a smart charger to keep the battery up. When I went to ride it in the spring, I would start it and run it for about a minute then shut it off, turn off the fuel and let it sit a day till the gaskets swelled up again and it wouldn't leak gas the rest of the summer. Maybe this is obvious but it does have a choke and also you can drain the bowls with a long straight screwdriver, 2 from one side of the bike and 2 from the other.
Hope this helps,
Regards,

New fuel filter
New spark plugs

Thanks
New Rider Brad
You have a second fuel tank under the seat that is also going to be rusted also Home Depot makes a product that work well cleaning my tanks but I also went ahead and replace all my fuel lines getting to the rear tank is a pain in the ass to get off if you plan on replacing your rear tire it will be a good time to do it I had my old back whole back end off also I wanted to clean things that I couldn't reach secondary tank has what's called a thermistor inside it he will be under the brass nut top of the tank it senses when you're about to run out of fuel and turns the reserve light on they're usually broken in that amount of time as far as ancient bike I know mine was that thermistor cost $2 you kcan't buy one separate you can buy 10 for less than $10 or something like that from more or less an electrical supply store but you have to know how to solder it or I think Honda want $65 for one I went the way of don't let my tank run out then look at my odometer 4 average tank full of gas mileage as far as the plastic tees someone mentioned they are a pain in the ass they connect each carburetor I had a problem with the first one that the fuel line from the tank goes into they have o rings on both sides but if there is a company online that produces metal ones it works perfect there less than 20 bucks but the carburetor has to get broken down as in one has to come off of the other which some say after that they need to be re synced while this Is it true the person who put my tee fitting on has a motorcycle shop and his synchronization (meters tools )have been unopened on his wall for 20 years there's a mechanical way to do it. After all that it's still took some cleaning and clearing but work out fine and bike runs better than it ever did 1983 V45 Magna 23,000 miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts