Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a new rider, and I have probably been kinda rough on my bikes clutch, especially considering I'm learning on it. I accidentaly rev or do all kinds of weird **** while shifting. None of it has been catastrophic. When I bought the bike I had the mechanic give it a tune up. They replaced all the cables, fluids, etc.,. The carbs are rebuilt. I did lay the bike down twice recently. (turns out you can't jam on the front brake and swerve. stupid bicycle reflexes)

I've had my current bike, a 19983 honda interceptor 750 for about 200 miles now, maybe 300. It's clutch behavoir is changing rapidly during the course of a ride. It changes from bad to good. A friend suggested fluid levels are perhaps low, I will check tomorrow.

Just today, when the bike started out cold the clutch is engaging very fast. Even releasing the lever a milimeter or 2 results in the engine note changing and the bike starting to push forward. It used to be that I had probably a centimeter, with fully released being 3 centimeters.

Also, along with this behavoir, starting today, the bike has a lot of trouble finding neutral when cold. It takes so much force (not a ton, but a very rigid snappy shift) to get it from 1st to second that it slides uncontrolably right through neutral to second. And when trying to feather it the other way it does the same thing.

Some times when I lightly press down on the shifter leaver from neutral to 1st, it will bounce off the gear, kind of a knock knock knock, even with the clutch in.

Once the bike is warm, both the action on the shift leaver, and the smoothness of the shift from 1st to neutral to second balance out.

I'm going to perform clutch cable-maintenance this thursday. But I also have questions about how I might be damaging the gearbox/clutch. I live in New York City, so this is a very clutch intensive ride.

I try to keep my rpm's reasonable, but to what degree does using the friction zone in lowspeed traffic degrade my clutch?

My clutch lever has a really, wide stance for my hand. I don't have a small hands, but it's action is very stiff and tires out my hand, and it also goes beyond where I usually have leverage, so I end up with it every so slightly depressed while riding around. I don't feel any difference in acceleration or slippage betweeen full release and the little bit my resting postion compresses it, but does doing something like that cause wear and tear? I understand it can vary, but is that a bad habit I shoudl get rid of completely or should I just adjust the lever so it's fine.

Anyways, Thanks for reading, I appreciate any feedback.

S

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey i see it's been awhile, but if you haven't figured it out, i'd look at these things:

i have an 84 honda sabre, same engine same bike for the most part in a different setup. i believe on both bikes, the clutches are hydraulic. i was issue similar to what you are describing when i bought my bike.

1.) check clutch fluid (brake fluid) levels
2.) with the cover for the fluid off, pull the clutch lever a few times. if you are seeing air bubbles, even very little ones, your master cylinder isn't sealing correctly. you can buy master cylinder rebuild kits fairly cheaply, i got one for about 15 bucks.
3.) pull off the cover behind the crankcase and look at the slave cylinder/clutch. if it is moving when you are engaging the clutch, try tightening up the screws if you can.

like i said, this is a problem i had with my bike when i got it, and these are the steps i took to fix it. hope this helps. good luck with the interceptor, they are fun bikes. if you've got it fixed already, these are good steps to take for bikes with hydraulic clutches

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 750 had a hydraulic clutch.

Old fluid can draw water over time or just have some air in it and wreak havoc with clutch action. Bleed the system like one would a set of brakes. All new DOT4 would be plenty good.

It is also possible the line may be shot too, too much give in it, but that would be unusual. A stainless line would be good, but I'm not so sure it would be necessary, not much pressure in that line like brakes might have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts