Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an old 83 GS450A Suzukimatic to fix up and get running again, but the guy I purchased it from did not have the key (and yes I already called my local sheriffs office and had them check the VIN to see if it was reported stolen and it's not).

I called up a local locksmith and explained my problem to him and he quoted me ~$275 for the service call and new key with any spares I would need. I already put most of my money in this bike so that is not really an option.

I told my friend about my situation and he told me I should just get a new ignition for it on ebay or something, but I have no idea what I would need to get, but I do have a guy that could install it for me. I have been looking and found one online that fits a GS450L but doesn't say anything about a GS450A. Would that fit mine as well? since they're both GS450? Sorry if my questions are newbie as this is my first motorcycle so I am still learning.

So my question is this: Would it be cheaper to get a locksmith to come here or cheaper to swap out the ignition? Is there are any other ways I don't know of (besides hot wiring it)? Please let me know as any help is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
It might be difficult, but if you can get the ignition switch off the bike, often there is a code stamped somewhere on it with which a locksmith could cut a new key. If I supply the code and key blank, my local guy charges $20.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay I might just end up doing that if I have to. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I think I can get a friend to help me out. Thank you

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Yeah my friend just had the same exact situation with his bike, a 1981 Honda CM250. He lost his keys and the shop told him they quit making them aftermarket last year. He was able to take it off and take it to the locksmith. The code that was stamped on it didn't actually work, but the locksmith figured it out manually and made him a pair of keys that worked for about $30. The only thing was, because the code wasn't an exact match, his new keys don't fit the helmet holder, but that wasn't his main concern anyway

1 - 4 of 4 Posts