Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for cheap guys around Wisconsin. Found a 1983 honda cb1000 custom with 36000 miles needing carb work for cheap, and a decent running 1982 yamaha virago 920cc in about the same cosmetic condition with 22000 miles on it. The cb1000 custom with repairs would be a bit cheaper than the virago, but not much. I'm 6 feet tall and am looking for a comfortable cruiser that will also be fun to ride. Which bike in your opinion should i get? I want your input and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I always get nervous if a seller says stuff like "it runs great just needs a little carb work" because if that is true why doesn't he do it already? Setting up carbs on an in-line 4 can be a bit of a dark science, doable but potentially tricky.

I'd recommend the Virago, partly because I'm biased my last bike was a Virago 1100 & that bike worked very nicely. I too though am 6' tall and, while the Virago certainly held me fine it was just a bit *cramped* (legroom mostly). I don't know if the CB would be any roomier though..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I ended up getting the virago 920, it had tons of mantinence records, lower miles, and was in way better shape than the cb1000, and it has home brewed extended highway pegs which look horrible but are really comfortable and solve the cramped feeling

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That's awesome Dman! As long as the Virago has been getting its basic maintenance it should provide nice trouble-free miles.

My wife took over the Virago & she loved it too. She stuck a Slipstreamer "Spitfire" windshield on it and, that small/cheap shield did a remarkable job deflecting the majority of highway breeze off her. And it looks pretty OK on the bike too!

Enjoy you new bike! :71baldboy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts