Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Barn find from a couple of guys i work with. Bike is in good shape did all the normal stuff. Clean carbs, gas tank change oil filters seals cam seal plugs. Charged the batteries got juice to the cluster but no movment when trying to use the electric start. Goning to start by checking the starter and connections. Good with the mechanics not with electrical. Any ideas please?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Just a hunch, but check for any kick stand or clutch lever switches. Is the bike in neutral?

·
Registered
71 Posts
since this is a barn find, i am guessing that it has been sitting for a long time. battery is likely bad. a battery can show 12.xx volts and light up a couple of tiny indicator lamps, but not have anywhere near enough current to turn a starter. have you tried a different battery ?

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I'll throw my hat in and say check your fuses and wiring. Sometimes rodents like themselves a wire snack or use them to build nests.

Also be sure to check out The GS Resources, they're basically an encyclopaedia on these bikes. Once you get it running, have fun!! :)

https://www.thegsresources.com

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Yuppers, rodents love plastic and/or rubber wiring is likely to look like swiss freakin cheeze . Contacts in engine run sw. as well
as starter sw. could be oxidized, maybe that year bike had points and condenser sh*( the bed, that will mess up ignition and if
it is like real damp, ignition coils could be 'gone-so' was gas left in the tank? carbs'll be gummed up I'd imagine, and maybe
the gaskets for intake manifold? Check oil level. will be glad to help with those volts & amps.

Maybe pour some gum-out or seafoam in tank of fresh gas, jump to car battery and give her a whirl, Earl, see what goes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts