Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this bike about a month ago. Had to replace the battery, the clutch cable and just did an oil change. The past couple days I've been riding my bike, once I get in sixth gear and start hitting 6000 rpms about 50-55 mph the throttle will quit giving power to the engine and start slowing my speed and rpms down. Then when I pull in the clutch to shift down a gear the engine dies, once i release the clutch it kick starts the engine back up. I thought it was overheating so I'd pull over and let it sit for a minute and then start it back up, but it will only start on choke. If I try and change it to run it will die. After a while it'll start back up and run just fine, without choke. But if I get it back in sixth gear and start hitting those higher rpms it will start acting up again. Any ideas to what the issue is? I was thinking maybe muffler clogged or carbs need cleaned. Even thought about changing the air filter box to just single pods on each carb.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,785 Posts
Check your gas tank vent. Next time it happens open the filler cap. If you hear a rush of air, you have a clogged vent.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also noticed on further diagnosis that in any gear if it gits 5k rpms the engine shuts off. What could be the cause of that?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Fuel starvation could cause that. Did you check for a clogged vent by opening the filler cap as was suggested?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel starvation could cause that. Did you check for a clogged vent by opening the filler cap as was suggested?
Yeah, unfortunately I tried that. No rush of air, although gas cap seal has some cracks. Seems to run better with the top of the air box off, but it's still doing the same thing. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your gas tank vent. Next time it happens open the filler cap. If you hear a rush of air, you have a clogged vent.
Yeah, unfortunately I tried that. No rush of air, although gas cap seal has some cracks. Seems to run better with the top of the air box off, but it's still doing the same thing. Any other suggestions? I even took the gas cap apart and it was clean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now whenever I turn my handlebar to the left it dies. I would assume most likely my throttle cable going out. Or some wires getting pinched.

·
American Legion Rider
21,101 Posts
Does the idle change at all before it dies or does it just die? It's possible you are pulling the throttle cable bringing the idle down too low to run. Easy fix is to pull any slack out or reroute the cables so you have move slack. Or you might have to change to longer cables or custom cables. If it just dies then you might have a short in a wire that's getting pulled along with the throttle cable or a wire or connector is grounding out by hitting the frame or some other ground source. That one needs immediate attention if that's it or you might start blowing fuses. Good luck.👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts