Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

Note: I am a first time motorcycle owner and new rider!

I purchased a 1982 Suzuki GS400 that needs a clutch rebuild as it is slipping badly. The bike was taken into a repair shop and a full inspection was done - this was the major repair needed. They estimated the cost to be around $300 - $800 on top of the other costs already needed so my partner and I decided to try and do the clutch repair on our own.

My partner is quite mechanically inclined and has already put some work into it. We have been trying to find parts for this bike online but finding it near impossible to find anything - yes, we know it is very old. Is there someone who has experience or advice with the Suzuki GS models from the 80s that could point us in the right direction? I was reading off of Wiki that 78 - early 80s GS models were pretty universal in parts so would I be able to use clutch plates from other years?

Would really appreciate any advice! Thank you!

·
Six-String Jockey
1,860 Posts
First off, are you absolutely sure it is a 400? Not a 450? I don't see any GS400s listed.

Anyway, clutch plates and such are readily available on ebay . . . or Partszilla . . . or Bike Bandit. Just get on your computer, type in the year make and size followed by clutch parts and you'll find whatever you need.

I have restored many classic bikes and clutch parts are usually no problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is for certain a GS400 and we ran into that often as well when looking up year and model on ebay or other part retailers - the model GS400 wasn't showing up.

I guess more to my question would be if anyone knows if clutch plates for GS450 or other later models would also work for an 82 GS400.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.