Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1982 Honda Sabre for a $100 as you can imagine for $100 its rough. The engine works, just needed a new rectifier. The bike would probably need torn down and put back together and repainted and some body parts replaced ie horn splitter, battery box, etc. What would this bike be worth restored? Trying to figure out if it is worth my time. Don't know that much about bikes so would probably have to pay to have most of the work done. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
For an initial $100 dollar investment, I'd go get the repair manual for it for another $35. Visiting forums, studying, searching online, and tackling many of the repairs yourself you can gain some valuable knowledge and experience. I do the vast majority of my own repair work, and tackled a number of things on my Magna for the first time. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
543 Posts
For $100, it's definitely worth buying it and then parting it out on eBay.

If the gas tank is rust free and not dented, then you're looking at getting the money out of the bike on that sell alone.

Takes alot of time and patience, but you can make more than you'd sink into it.

On the flip side, as Bodraleadz stated, definitely a small price to pay for a learning experience :)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Repair instead of restore.

If the bike starts and runs,go for it. It would be a great bike to learn [to do repairs] on. Shiny paint will not make it run better.
What I would do is make sure that the things that make a bike a bike,like the chain,brakes ,and tires are in good condition. If you could get that bike on a platform 24" above the floor, it would make it a much better experience.
I run a repaired[not restored] CB360, and the satisfaction of fixing what breaks is right up there with sliced bread. I have invented tools,done McGuiver repairs that cost pennies on the dollar You can always restore it later,but if you want to make money, you might as well part it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought one on craigslist for 300, nothing wrong with it except battery, broken turn signal stems, missing rad. reservoir cap, and a really raggedy seat. I'm going to make it look a lot different, get rid of all the plastic stuff, paint it really dark green, blah, blah, blah. The stuff that works that I am going to replace (headlight, instruments, plastic covers, etc) will bring me more on ebay than my initial cash spent on it.

I am going to make a thread about some easy fixes like turn signals that you can fix without buying new. I'll add the rest as I go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts