Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well got this bike in the fall for about 600$ has 20,000 miles on it, and I've got big plans for it. I am a novice mechanic, but learning as fast as I can. The bike runs good, and I am more interested in the cosmetic/style of it right now.

Things I've done:

-Lowered handlebars to clip ons
-Removed turn signals
-Swapped Spark Plugs
-Fixed small air leak in fork joiner
-Drilled out Oil Filter Cover (Waiting on replacement)

Future Plans:

-Painting the tank red
-Replacing headlight and turn signals
-Reupholstering the seat, and removing some foam
-Redoing fuel line(adding filter)

What I Need Help With:

The wiring on this aftermarket headlight is confusing me. It did not come with a wiring diagram, but there is one available online. The part I am particularly confused on is the wiring for the integrated turn signals. I have a red a black and a green wire on the aftermarket, and I had 2 blue and white/blue or orange and white/orange wires from the previous turn signals.

I have pictures below. Does anyone know how these wires are supposed to go? I have a brown, black, and orange that are all unplugged as well. I am terrible at reading wiring diagrams, so beginners terms if possible.

Thank you for any an all help. Let me know what you think of the project so far.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,487 Posts
unfortunately you can't post pictures until your 15th post

·
Registered
92 Posts
Okay, my guess.... Red, low beam, green, high beam, (vice versa) black ground. (some aftermarket wiring makes no sense at all and black would be hot for all we know. But none the less, take the battery out/leave it in, whichever you want and run the wires straight to the battery and flip flop them around until you figure it out. Then your best friend will be a small voltmeter (5 bucks from harbor freight if your broke like a lot of us) Start testing that against wires from the old lights, ignition on test them until you find a hot, (low beam) flip the switch to high beam, look for the hot, double check. turn on the blinkers, check the wires and etc. Time consuming but scribbling down your findings will make things a little easier.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup I realize now I can't post pictures until 15 posts.

But ok I have two volt meters, and its just the turn signals I am confused on, and its the stock harness that confusses me. I understand the aftermarket.

So if i would turn the turn signal on and hold the volt meter from my empty wire spots to ground one should have a flashing current that to ground correct?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Pictures

Now that I can finally post my pictures
[/URL][/IMG]

That is the aftermarket wiring above
[/URL][/IMG]
that needs a home in here. I only pulled two wires from the previous turn signals. The instructions label the turn signals as red signal, ground black, running light green. So I am assuming tape off the green and use the other two? Where do the black brown and orange plugs on my harness now go to then?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
IIRC, light blue and orange are turn signals with Honda, green is ground, black is hot? Probably should confirm this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok black is hot that actually helps. Hopefully i will get around to wiring those in tomorrow. I have had the bike out quite a few times now and i have run into a problem with the back.

I removed the rear plastic because i dont like plastics. I have an aftermarket tail light coming, but the bike looks very weird now because you can see the underside of the seat. Any ideas on how to cover that up without simply reusing the original plastic?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts