Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1982 Honda CM450C and found real cheap carb kits for a CM450A. Anyone have an opinion on how much the different jets will effect performance. Most parts in the kit for the CM450A are the same as the CM450A. The CM450A kits (2) for $30 with shipping, is less than a third the price of the CM450C kits. Thanks.

·
American Legion Rider
23,697 Posts
It's not the cost you want to worry about but the size of the jets. You want to replace with the same size or yes, you will have performance issues with a different size.

EDIT: From what I see the "A" is for the automatic. I would stick with the "C" in those kits. Maybe someone can explain the "real" difference between the kits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thought are these: Both are 450cc. The fuel required at idle, at least in neutral, would be the same. I suspect the CM450A jets may be smaller, so using them would not make the bike run bad, but would result in slower acceleration. This is just a guess of course, because I am more of a car guy than a bike guy. Any thoughts on how the performance would be affected?

I checked the cost of buying the CM450A kit, using the interchangeable parts, then buying the right jets if I have too. If I do that I will still be paying $50 instead of $100. I am not trying to be cheap, but I always keep in mind that the bike isn't worth a lot of money.

·
American Legion Rider
23,697 Posts
We have some real wrenches here so sit back and wait. I'm sure one of them will be able to say why one would be better or why the automatic one might give terrible performance. It maybe that you would be fine unless you wanted to accelerate quickly and it just wouldn't be there. That's my best guess as I'm a tractor type when it comes to machines. Some things I can do to bikes but most I let the experts do after I truly understand what I might get myself into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts