Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Honda cb900c, 1983 Kawasaki 440 LTD, 1982 Honda Nighthawk 650
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just purchased this 1982 Honda CB900c and I want to fully restore it back to its full glory. The only problem it has at this point is a stiff rear brake foot lever. Hard to press and hard to lift back up to riding position. Anyone had this problem with an old bike. It has 20000 miles on it. The rear brake will work properly when activated but way way to stiff. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thank you
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Rim
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
American Legion Rider
26,418 Posts
It's a good looking well cared for bike but I wouldn't be surprised it's all the suggestions above to some degree. So I'd simply suggest removing everything and either replacing the parts or doing a good job of cleaning them and lubing where required. I real doubt it's just one issue. Good luck though. (y)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Could be but any time I ever went there they were fine. The M/C though is placed in a highly humid splash area and the water seal used on them is abysmal. The F bikes had constant problems with them and mine messed up to drag at like 5000 miles from new. First time you may be able to clean up all parts to like new and it works great again but the corrosion starts taking toll after that to damage parts to not be able to reuse easily. You can pull like one clip to check the brake linkage itself-easy.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not if you drive in enough water, Mine was full of it and more than once. The first time the parts all looked new when cleaned up, they just had water all over them before it. The second time took more work to get the part useable and the third time there was no way; pitted in the bore to be defective.

Enough of a problem that the F bike site had everybody looking for a replacement that worked, IIRC they found one off a Honda 600 that worked with little changes.

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Pretty bike! Lube everything, exercise all the parts, see if that works, if not start taking things apart until you find the issue.
If that doesn't work then the bike is junk and needs to be scrapped, I'll come pick it up and I'll even give you $5 for the scrap value :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a good looking well cared for bike but I wouldn't be surprised it's all the suggestions above to some degree. So I'd simply suggest removing everything and either replacing the parts or doing a good job of cleaning them and lubing where required. I real doubt it's just one issue. Good luck though. (y)
Could be. Thank you

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could be but any time I ever went there they were fine. The M/C though is placed in a highly humid splash area and the water seal used on them is abysmal. The F bikes had constant problems with them and mine messed up to drag at like 5000 miles from new. First time you may be able to clean up all parts to like new and it works great again but the corrosion starts taking toll after that to damage parts to not be able to reuse easily. You can pull like one clip to check the brake linkage itself-easy.
Good to know. Thank you

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What ever it is it was caused by old age. Same thing keeps happening to me... Parts stick and I have to pull up my foot.

S F
I guess if I figure out what part is doing it, I will try to remember to lube it every so often to prevent from happening, hopefully. Thank you

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not if you drive in enough water, Mine was full of it and more than once. The first time the parts all looked new when cleaned up, they just had water all over them before it. The second time took more work to get the part useable and the third time there was no way; pitted in the bore to be defective.

Enough of a problem that the F bike site had everybody looking for a replacement that worked, IIRC they found one off a Honda 600 that worked with little changes.
Good information. Thanks again

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty bike! Lube everything, exercise all the parts, see if that works, if not start taking things apart until you find the issue.
If that doesn't work then the bike is junk and needs to be scrapped, I'll come pick it up and I'll even give you $5 for the scrap value :)
Well, that's pretty mean. A pretty junk bike! Hum No I don't think it's junk, might need a complete new brake parts, that's all.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I imagine the brake fluid in there is as vintage as the rest of the bike and now the brake master cylinder needs replacing. Did you flush the hydraulics with fresh brake fluid yet? You might want to try that and see what kind of swamp water comes out.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
... see the coil spring inside the brake master cylinder parts kit (9) that is indicated as unavailable. That's your problem part and the good news is; even if that part is done for, you can replace the entire assembly with a similar brake master cylinder off a completely different model and it can still be made to function.

Excellent chance a decent motorcycle scrap yard can sell you everything you will need, if you visit one with the broken part in hand.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I imagine the brake fluid in there is as vintage as the rest of the bike and now the brake master cylinder needs replacing. Did you flush the hydraulics with fresh brake fluid yet? You might want to try that and see what kind of swamp water comes out.
I was thinking that too. I bet it's pretty bad. I'll comment when I do it. Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
Most of the time it is the aluminum piston sticking in an aluminum bore once the hardcoat wears on the part and the relatively tight clearance, like with almost any master cylinder if you've rebuilt them. The spring can be duplicated but I was always able to use that over, it takes longer to corrode through the wire thickness than it does to stick the piston in place.

The bottom boot is weak too, it is no way waterproof enough.

You pull the piston (maybe literally) and then rehone the bore to find out how much real damage is there, if not clean all parts and then reassemble and go until it does it again.

The caliper can do same, the outer surface of piston OD corrodes to stick tight in housing or it does same at the pins.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts