Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this motorcycle for a couple months now and everything has been great until it wasn't. The first issue I had was with the starter solenoid. After trial and error I fixed it, got a new solenoid and a fuse and it was running great.

The issue now is that when i try to start it the lights come on but as soon as i press start the lights dim and nothing happens. No clicks, no turn over, nada. I checked the battery and it's good, its not on killswitch, I held the clutch and had it on neutral. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,410 Posts
Do a load test on the battery, it should not drop below 10v. Check all your grounds. Report back.

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,410 Posts
You will have to take it to a battery shop, or you can do a simple test by hooking a volt meter to the battery and hit the starter while looking at the meter

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will have to take it to a battery shop, or you can do a simple test by hooking a volt meter to the battery and hit the starter while looking at the meter
So.. I took it to Autozone, they said the battery was not keeping charge so they gave me a replacement because of the warranty. I just put it on and it's the same issue, lights dim out when you try to start it.

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,560 Posts
So.. I took it to Autozone, they said the battery was not keeping charge so they gave me a replacement because of the warranty. I just put it on and it's the same issue, lights dim out when you try to start it.
Did you fully charge the new battery before trying?

· Registered
1978 Honda CX500, 1983 Honda GL650I
106 Posts
Some bikes have a switch that will kill the engine if it's in gear with the side stand down. I don't know if that happened as early as '82, but a bad switch could prevent starting. Easy to trace with a multimeter. If you intend to keep a 40 year old motorcycle, acquire and learn to use one.

22,560 Posts
Some bikes have a switch that will kill the engine if it's in gear with the side stand down. I don't know if that happened as early as '82, but a bad switch could prevent starting. Easy to trace with a multimeter. If you intend to keep a 40 year old motorcycle, acquire and learn to use one.
There's also the possibility of a clutch switch doing the same if it's faulty.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's also the possibility of a clutch switch doing the same if it's faulty.
I checked this last night actually lol. So far what I've done was unplug the tailight and headlight to see if maybe that could be causing a fault (I'm not a pro clearly) and nothing yet. I cleaned the terminals for both the battery and the starter relay and it didn't start. I will try replacing the voltage regulator and see where that goes. I appreciate your input!

22,560 Posts
Maybe one of the electrical gurus might be so kind to chime in. I'm sure they'll want you to be familiar with a multimeter though. That's much better than throwing money away with replaced parts that were not bad to begin with though.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe one of the electrical gurus might be so kind to chime in. I'm sure they'll want you to be familiar with a multimeter though. That's much better than throwing money away with replaced parts that were not bad to begin with though.
I took a look at it after watching a video on how to test it with multimeter. It looks like where I put the negative rod it is fried

Attachments

22,560 Posts
That would certainly cause some kind of issue. Looks like you found your problem. (y)

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
819 Posts
These folks have lots of connectors for bikes:

· Ace Tuner
4,163 Posts
I took a look at it after watching a video on how to test it with multimeter. It looks like where I put the negative rod it is fried
That melted plug goes to the stator and indicates a charging system problem. I'll get pushback for saying it but I've seen that happen on quite a few Honda's but rarely on the other Japanese brands. The first test to do would be insulation breakdown of the stator. With your meter you just test to see if ANY of the yellow wires (stator side) go to ground.
The lights going dim / loss of electrical power is a totally different problem and is not directly related to the melted plug.

but as soon as i press start the lights dim and nothing happens.
That sounds just like what a bad battery ground usually does. (Or a bad connection somewhere). I'd check the battery ground wire connection at the engine first then any other grounds you can find. Follow that by checking connections that supply main power, like the cable coming off the battery at the starter solenoid.

Good Luck. Let us know as you go
S F

1 - 20 of 24 Posts