Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nightmare of a 1982 CB900C. Anyways, Bike wouldn't start when I was going to get gas with a buddy. We push started it a few times, battery got so low we couldn't get it going at all. Recharged the battery fully over night, got about 3 starts off the battery after hooking it all back up again and then it died once more. I bought a brand new battery and switched it out with the battery that was in the bike when I bought it. It ran well for about 2 days, but then I hear click click click no start. I pulled the alternator cover off and see a nice thick brown liquid all around the alternator rotor and on the bronze wire around the cover. Wondering if anyone might have any ideas, and wondering if the brown liquid is supposed to be there or if it sounds like something might have exploded? I will post pictures in a few minutes here. Thanks guys =)

Link to Pictures of the Alternator rotor and casing(?)
imgur.com/a/ck9GX
 

·
Pale Rider
Joined
·
528 Posts
Your charging system is not working: the bike, when it runs, is draining the battery, hence the click-click-click, after a couple of days of riding. The "new" battery has likely been deep-discharged, which means it is ready to be recycled, and replaced with another brand new battery -- sorry.

Get an OEM manual, if possible, first (Google is your friend), then get a fully charged, known good (load tested) battery installed, and begin troubleshooting the charging system. Also, those two rings, appear to be the contacts for the stator (it's an electro-magnet, not a permanent magnet; it gets its power from the battery). Clean those carefully, using either a pencil eraser, or an American Dollar Bill (slightly abrasive, good for cleaning points in an ignition system). This will ensure a good connection with the Stator -- check the condition of the brushes which contact these points, as well (manual will give spec's, and when/how to replace).

The brown stuff might be engine oil. Some bikes bathe the alternator in engine oil, to cool them -- engine oil is highly resistive, so it will not conduct electricity at all, at the voltages present, which makes it safe to use as a coolant. Not familiar with the CB900's design. There is, however, one, or more, dedicated forums to this particular bike model. I'd suggest using Google to locate them, and then make judicious use of their search feature. One of these CB900 forums also dealt with CB750's, which interested me as an owner of one. I quickly found out how bitchy the members were, when you did not search the forum for the answers they had already posted to my questions... Just sayin'. They were, however, extremely knowledgeable, so I learned their "rules", and followed them, getting the information I needed. Cheers!
:coffee:
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top