Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yo man i noticed one of your replys to someones electrical problem. so maybe you can help me.

i have a 1981 xs 1100s, the guy i bought it off of let it sit for a year (so he says) i cleaned carbs , changed tires, plugs, new battery, new brakes. even siliconed some of the iternal filters of carbs because of a vaccume leak ( that still is a little noticable). but any way some times it starts real good. it seems like battery dies fast i usually only run to fix not much riding not sure if that would drain it that fast. but if i do get it to turn over with out charging the battery it will eaither A: run fine and just idle good with only small missin.
B: takes many trys before it turns over then acts just like A( what i sad above)
C: it struggles to start to the point were battery gives and i must try again after i charge or jump and if it does turn with out battery charged or jumped it stalls right out.

either way im pretty sure this all has to do with the electrical portion of this bike. if i touch the starter relay while it is runnin fine it will cut it off immediatly (which i find wierd) or if i put my finger on the fuse box on certain wires the engine cuts off as well. And the weirdest thing is if it is running good and i go to ride it and put it in 1st and go.. once my feet leave ground it stalls out immediatly.. i feel this is a ground issue. but almost certain it is a electrical issue. Im not an electrician and this is my first project bike so i know u guys know more than me and was wondering if you can help me. and if u survived reading all this and my bad spellin i thank you

Please email and comments, solutions, or opinions to themattwasner @ yahoo . com

·
Registered
142 Posts
You will need to check & clean all connections & frame grounds. If you move a wiring harness & the engine dies then there is a problem and you will need to check ALL electrical connections. When I first got my 1973 GT750 running it ran great until I made sharp R/H turns then the engine would stall & not restart until the handle bar was moved all the way to the left. The problem was a broken wire in the wiring harness, in the bend around the steering head & went up into te head light bucket.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hard to say where to start, you will need to start at the battery and check every connection. If you push on a wire or part and something changes then there is a broblem. Check everything in the headlight bucket & under the seat & tank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you need a multimeter! go to harbor freight or radio shack or other hardware store ask to have them explain how it works.!! Yes! how to use a multimeter there are two positions used for most jobs . first find the position that makes the sound when the two probes are touching each-other ! That is continuity ! for finding a break in the circuit. I would use this for probing from the bulb socket to GROUND and following the +hot back to the switch "follow the path"! ! ! The second position to look for Is marked ! DC and has positions like 0>10 0>20 0>200 etc. you want 0>20 or better It is designed to not break, if you are wrong !. red is + and black is - !!!
Check your connections to ground first . Then check for any physical damage to the harness . then check the path for your ignition spark plug to coil and coil to switch and stater watch your colors and check continuity! ! It sounds like a connection is loose(no sound when there should be sound), if all you have to do is shift your weight to make it change?? LaTeR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts