Motorcycle Forum banner

1981 Suzuki GS550T; Won't turn over and oil light won't turn off.

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Dodsfall 
#1 ·
Afternoon Everyone!

Recently changed the oil and put in new filter, changed spark plugs and charged the battery. The bike sounds like it wants to start and turn over but its having a lot of issues. The oil light wont turn off either so not sure if oil is getting to the engine or not. Thinking about doing a Seafoam treatment for the carburetor or just cleaning it all together. Some help or ideas on why it wont turn over would be great!

Thanks

#3 ·
The bike ran for a week or two prior but the day (4/8) I went to change the oil, spark plugs and batteries it would not start. Even rechecked everything I had done and still no luck. When I hold the clutch down and press start its starts to go and makes the effort but it doesnt ever turn over. I'm thinking carbs at this point.

#4 ·
Are you sure the battery is good?
Carburetor problems wouldn't cause the engine to not turn over unless they flooded over so much that the cylinders/crankcase is full of fuel causing a hydraulic lock.

Reactions: Dodsfall
#5 ·
I think there is some confusion in mechanical terminology.

"Turn over" means the engine will turn when the starter is activated.

"Start" means the engine will run.

These are not interchangeable in mechanic-speak.

An engine can turn over and start, or turn over and not start, or not turn over at all.

These two terms get mistakenly interchanged often, which makes it difficult to diagnose problems in text. A mechanic hears "Won't turn over" and assumes the starter and engine does nothing when pressing the start button.

The oil light will generally stay on until the engine actually starts and there is oil pressure present. Sometimes the starter will turn over the engine fast enough to turn off the light, depending on design.

#7 ·
From Dodsfall:

"Turn over" means the engine will turn when the starter is activated.
"Start" means the engine will run.
These are not interchangeable in mechanic-speak.
An engine can turn over and start, or turn over and not start, or not turn over at all.

So seeing Dodsfall's post above... More information please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.