Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 550L and while removing the carbs the rubber portion of the boot came detached, the rubber looks in good condition so can it be reattached to the metal flange, if so how ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1981 Suzuki carb boots

They do bolt on, however the rubber part has come apart from the flange, looks like it just needs glueing back on.I will try the adhesive you suggest.
Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
You can not fix worn boots. You will never get anything but a temporary results. Most boots from this era bike needs replacement. Heat causes them to loose pliability and they come loose as yours have. They should still be available, Suzuki still makes them for my '78 GS1000E. Order clamps when you order boots, they stretch over time and will not clamp properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1981 Suzuki carb boots

The rubber part of the boot is still very pliable, and only 2 came apart as I
pulled the carbs out, so if I can find out how they are sealed onto the metal flange I think they would be serviceable. Anyone tried this ?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
For anyone reading this, old STIFF carb boots can be softened by soaking overnight in a mixture of xylene & 30% wintergreen oil. Works just amazing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1981 Suzuki 55oL carb boots

Thanks a lot for the tips, but does anyone know what to use to attach the rubber part back on to the metal flange ?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have not heard of anything that works for long. I'm glad to hear about the softening technique but I'm not convinced it wouldn't ruin all of the Suzuki intake boots that are molded to metal flanges. It sounds like it would work fine on the air box side. Most all of the members at (http://www.thegsresources.com/) replace the intake boots. Many initially try to fix them but eventually end up replacing them. I would like to find a fix for the old sets I have, they are not cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1981 suzuki 550L carb boots

The flanges are smooth and tapered so just molding without any adhesive I wouldn't think would hold. Anyway I will research adhesives and see if I can
find one that will work. Let you know how it turns out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts