Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new bike owner, i've only had my bike for 4 days now and i first noticed the issue when i hit a bump my headlight would turn off and i would have to tap it (while riding at night mind you) til it turned back on, so i went home and looked for the short. i found it in the headlight housing, one of the wires was coroded and just sitting the harness jiggling around... so i fixed that... now it works, but if i hit a bump and it turns off i has to depress the ignition button not fully, just a little bit and it turns back on or sometimes flickers... any ideas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well i think i found the problem... the ignition switch is corroded inside... and i think the wire for the headlight my be broken at its point of contact

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
You might be able to clean up the contacts if you can access them and replace any wires that are bad. It's worth a try before buying a new switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might be able to clean up the contacts if you can access them and replace any wires that are bad. It's worth a try before buying a new switch.
turns out (after breaking the switch open) the contacts were HORRIBLY corroded. cleaned them with alcohol and a Q-tip then hit it with some fine grit sand paper and its great, i am piecing it back together.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Also, check and clean all your grounds. I have an '82 CM400 and a few other early Hondas and whenever I have weird stuff happening with the electricals, (like engaging the brake light and all the other lights going out, etc) it's often a bad ground connection somewhere. I've also been able to take a few ignition switches apart and soldered them back to working order. Good luck. I love to hear folks keeping the old bikes on the road. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, check and clean all your grounds. I have an '82 CM400 and a few other early Hondas and whenever I have weird stuff happening with the electricals, (like engaging the brake light and all the other lights going out, etc) it's often a bad ground connection somewhere. I've also been able to take a few ignition switches apart and soldered them back to working order. Good luck. I love to hear folks keeping the old bikes on the road. :)
well my plan for this one is to lop off the back and put some low profile shocks on the rear with a bobber seat and repaint it, but 1st ima finish cleaning the engine and what not... do y'all know how to get the engine to look shiny again withough sanding it? like certain parts i just cant realistically sand

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
well my plan for this one is to lop off the back and put some low profile shocks on the rear with a bobber seat and repaint it, but 1st ima finish cleaning the engine and what not... do y'all know how to get the engine to look shiny again withough sanding it? like certain parts i just cant realistically sand
Sorry, maybe some others can help you with that. I don't restore mine to like new condition in fear of riding them and messing them up.:biggrin:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, maybe some others can help you with that. I don't restore mine to like new condition in fear of riding them and messing them up.:biggrin:
ah, its all good, i want it to like new because 1. corosion isn't good to just let it sit there, and 2. it just looks tacky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts