Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

My step dad got this bike a couple years ago. It had its problems hen but he got it fixed. He wanted to get something bigger so he’s giving it to me! It’s my first bike. He brought it up last summer for me to learn to ride, but it was having trouble holding charge. He took it back home with him and replaced the rotor, stater, and voltage regulator. It worked for about 3-4 months until just the other day he said he was riding then it died again. It was also on a new battery. He said I can either have it or he will sell it. It’s a free bike so I’ll definitely take it but I don’t know where else to go to replace it and really don’t feel like paying a mechanic hindreads maybe every thousands to “fix” it.

Thanks

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Congrats on the bike! I had the option of buying one of those for $50 years ago and I passed on it - I sort of regret doing so.

One way or another the bike is going to have to be diagnosed and repaired. It's fine if you want to skip the mechanic bills and tackle the job yourself, but you should "want" to do it. Do it because you want to to learn to do it.

I guess the first thing is to determine what "died" means. Did it stop running? Did it not start? Is the battery dead? Is it something else - like a carb or engine issue? What happens when you turn it on and push the start button?

Motorcycle Repair Course

Hands down, one of the best and most complete resources for someone new to wrenching on old bikes.

Got a shop manual?

·
Biker
1,623 Posts
Hello Nick7106,

Damn nice looking ride. I think cmonSTART is telling you about Dan's motorcycle repair, . I am sure he will be of much help.
Since it probably is an electrical issue, you will probably need a decent multi-meter for a.c. volts, d.c. volts and ohms.

cmonSTART is asking good ? saying it won't run is NOT the same as "I was doing 70 down the Hi-way and suddenly, no power
no lights or had lights but within a minute just lost all engine power or It was sitting in my garage for a year.

Some of Honda charging systems have a magnetic rotor that spins over the coils wound on a laminated core, yet other Honda
charging systems are very much like a car alternator, instead of a magnetic rotor spinning over the coils you would have a
rotor that must have some power applied to it to create the magnetic field, this would be done by 'slip rings' and a pair of
brushes. If the battery volts are like 12.6 , the voltage reg. would allow just a small amount of current to the rotor and the
output from stator would be enough to keep everything working o.k. If battery volts were 11.3 or something like that, more
current would would be sent to the rotor and more magnetic field produced and more power from the stator.

Or this bike could use the magnetic rotor with the permanent magnets in and the stator would have a 3 phase winding, then
3 leads go to the rectifier/regulator to chance a.c. from stator to D.c. to charge battery and regulator keep volts fairly constant
over a wide range of engine speeds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts