Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just bought my first bike and wanted to put some work into it so I bought once needing a new stator. I was told it would start after this...well it doesn't. I have put in a new battery, a stator, a new starter solenoid relay and still nothing. It used to start to turn but would never fire, now it won't even turn. I am thinking it is the electric ignition on the bars. Any ideas?

:71baldboy:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am not sure but I don't think a bad stator would keep it from starting. Just wouldn't let it charge. Some bikes you have to have the clutch pulled in or the kickstand up to start. But it sounds to me like you might have bad ground or connection. Maybe a blown fuse. I would get a multimeter and start following the power back. I am sure they are others on this forum that know more about it than me that can help. Good luck and let us know how it going.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Do your lights come on when you turn the key? If it has a kick-start, have you tried that? How about bump starting it? Have you charged the battery? Just going over the basics here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sounds like a short circuit between the handlebars and the seat j/k follow the flow from the battery out to the solenoid the progress from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Mainiac - The kick stand is on right now but I was told that year didn't have that feature, but I am not ruling it out!

@jrswanson - Yes the lights come on, its weird when i hit the button to start it the oil and neutral light come on. I'm not aware of it having a kick start it doesn't seem to. The battery is new but I am going to try charging it up some.

@cycobob666 - All the wiring seems to have charge so I'm not too sure if wiring is the problem. I will def check the handlebars to the seat though! haha

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If you haven't already, get a battery tender and hook it up. Your battery may be too low to turn the bike over now. Also, check all of the fuses.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Does that model have an on/off switch? Mine does and I had the same issue until I realized it was turned off. Doubt if that is your problem but thought I'd throw that in to be checked. It wouldn't be the 1st time. Also, you should be trying to start it in neutral. If you are, unless it is unplugged, if it has a kickstand switch it shouldn't effect it. I do know my 1985 Yamaha Maxim has to have a charged battery or it won't start. Good Luck to you!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to buy a new fuse box so I do need to swap the fuses just to make sure they are new/working. I have a new ignition coming in this week i am putting on, thinking maybe there is a bad wire there since it was zip-tied on! But yes it has been in the on position! Good looking out though :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I have to re-wire the electrical system! Last night after putting on the new starter button I was messing with the fuses and fried my whole electrical system, now i have nothing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sparks, melted wires, tons of smoke. No lights anymore. I have a wire running from the solenoid to a bunch of wires by the front wheel and that cable used to be red, now its black, copper and super thin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So we were looking at the wiring and I have a wire going directly from the positive of my solenoid directly up to the ignition. Any thoughts as to why? they spliced directly into a cable on the ignition switch so I think that might be a bad wire. Any thoughts? If we jump the solenoid it does turn.

·
Registered
201 Posts
did you change the stator rotor or the stator itself? te actual stator almost never burns out, however the old honda CB's have a tendency to fry stator rotors, I know this doesn't necessarily pertain to you starting issue but it is something to be aware of. as for the starting issues. buy a clymer manual, they have a color wiring diagram in there so you can trace the whole system out, the starting circuit in these old bikes isn't too terribly complicated. also buy a multimeter so you can test the individual components.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Ok,so look at this parts drawing and find part # 27 which is a 30 amp dogbone fuse. The fuse is covered by a plastic housing with a little flip door [part 12 & 13] and is easy to miss. The fuse actually bridges two screws on the solenoid. If this fuse is blown,it will shut down the bike, since it is the main fuse. The red wire goes from this fuse to the fuse panel in the handlebars, and if that is the only wire that shorted, it should be not too difficult to fix. Make sure the replacement wire is heavy enough like #10 stranded wire

You could replace the dogbone fuse with an ATC fuse-holder with terminal connectors to fit the solenoid screws. It is ugly, but the side cover hides it.

Then when you are replacing those red wires, you can put a 5 to 10 amp fuse in the holder while testing things out and it will blow the fuse immediately if there is a wiring short and well before the magic smoke comes out of your wiring. After your repairs are proven,you can go with a 30 amp fuse.The bonus is now you can buy fuses anywhere instead of chasing down a 30 amp dogbone at your Honda dealer

Here is the part drawing http://www.hondapowersportsoftroy.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts