Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So I have been slowly restoring a 1981 Honda CB650 Custom (my first bike). My biggest issue has been repairing the inside of the rusty tank. This is my 3rd tank that I have attempted to restore and I am at my wits end!

I used the common trick of letting it soak with apple cider vinegar to clean out the rust. I chose red kote to seal the inside. Before my first coat of red kote I made sure to clean it out very well and let it air dry/ran a blow dryer in it. I then coated it and a good majority of it ran out of the tank. I let it sit for at least 24 hours (as directed) and decided to do a second coat. This time around a majority of it stuck and there was very little running out of it.

I left the tank at the motorcycle shop (yes I cheated and paid a shop to put my new chain on). I came back a week later and they told me that the red kote sealant failed (they also told me they let it sit for at least 48 hours before putting fuel in it). I am not sure what to do at this point and I am dreading having to look for another tank (very hard to find).

I drained the rest of the fuel out and it looks like cranberry juice. Any advice is much appreciated! I am considering cleaning the fuel out and trying to coat it again. Sorry for the wall of text and thank you guys for taking the time to read this! :)

-Andrew

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,444 Posts
Welcome aboard. Sorry I can't help but there are several here who have been there and done that. They should be able to help you. Just be patient until they check in.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
tanks that rust are junk, toss them and start over, what is this 3 cans of RedKote?
I fixed a tank one time(only once) with fiberglass, but everyone said it was a glitch, and that I was lucky!
Find a new tank, or have JesseJames make you one...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far!

Yahmyxs,

I used about 2/3 of the red kote (1 quart total). I meant 3 tanks. My first one was rusted shut and the second one ended up having too many holes for it to be repaired. I am not sure if a brand new tank is in my budget at the moment. If you have any suggestions on alternative tanks that would fit on an '81 frame it would be much appreciated! I tried doing some research with little results. Sorry for the confusion!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
How exactly did the redkote fail? I use the stuff a lot and have never had a single issue - and I do some really nasty tanks!! (Just did one today, too.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cmonSTART,

I assumed the shop said it failed because of the fuel coloration (clear to cranberry red). Could it just be excess red kote that did not stick?

·
Premium Member
8,086 Posts
Tanks

This is definitely a problem with some made in JA Pan tanks.
My Yamaha Seca is one that has problems, so is my XS11. The Seca had been sealed before I got it. I have a spare for the XS11. Would be nice to find a plastic tank for my other XS1100. My 41 Ford tractor does not have any rust in the tank. So I figure they used different steel in Japan.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Actually, it's very normal for the first several tanks of fuel to have a red tint after using redkote, per the manufacturer. They actually tell you to expect that.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
The CB750 to the left was done well over a year ago, and while normally the red tint is almost gone, if I leave the fuel in the tank for an extended period it will still take on that tint.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
Interesting thread. Never used Red Kote myself, but have a bike with a tank treated with Kreme in 1993 that is still going strong. That was a three step process. Attention to detail is your friend.

With the comments here on those with experience with the product I'm wondering how the shop is defining a failure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info cmonSTART!! Sounds like that's what's going on with my tank.

Bwana,
I left some info out. The shop (which I will not be returning to) said it failed because a) they saw the fuel had turned red and b) fuel was "leaking from the tank." Turns out they broke my brand new petcock somehow when they were screwing it on. It was leaking because it was not screwed on all the way and upon removal I discovered the o-ring had been broken as well.

I have used Kreem before on a previous tank and followed the directions very carefully. It ended up failing when it started to crack and peel a couple of days after its application. I have been told that red kote is much more forgiving with older tanks that may still have rust after a proper cleaning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts