Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this bike a while back after it sat a few years. Took it to Blackmans cycle center in emmaus,pa.
Had the carbs rebuilt, and the bike started and ran for a week
Bike began to not start back up after driving somewhere.
Strong smell of gas. After trying to start for a while all the gas pissed out the bottom. Got gas in crank case.
Took back to Blackmans. They replaced petcock and installed inline fuel filter. (Tank had some rust, they thought that might be the issue).
Got it back ran great two days later same starting issues left me stranded again.
Blackmans seems to think its the CDI box and claims to have tested all other electrical possibilities.
Before i go ahead and replace this part, can anyone shed some light on my issue? This is my first bike and i dont have experience with working on bikes. Im trying to save money.
Also, does anyone know where i can find a cheap replacement either stock or aftermarket cdi? Im weary of the ones i found on ebay working and being the right type.
I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to help!

·
Banned
685 Posts
Before i go ahead and replace this part, can anyone shed some light on my issue?
Maybe but LOTS of questions first.

Is the bike stock, that is, no K&N filter or straight pipes ??

Are you still having a "gas smell" issue or is it just hard to start ?

If not, what other small things are different than the first time it acted up ?

Sometimes OLD bikes like that just don't work out for a new rider......but I don't think you should give up quite yet.

You might want to start thinking about how much you are actually willing to put into it though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything is stock. Just tried to start it after two hours. Used 3/4 choke. It started and stayed on so i turned the choke down just a little and it was fine for a minute then it just shut off all at once didnt even sound like it was gunna die. Dont smell gas at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not that its hard to start, it eiter starts or it doesnt, sometimes when i try and fuss with it after its not working, i go wot no choke and it starts but as soon as i let off the throttle a little it shuts off and i cant get it started again

·
Banned
685 Posts
It started and stayed on so i turned the choke down just a little and it was fine for a minute then it just shut off all at once didnt even sound like it was gunna die. Dont smell gas at all.
Sounds to me like you have a MAJOR blockage in the fuel line somewhere.....or an automatic petcock has failed.

Your gas petcock IS turned to ON or RUN, right ??
If you have a PRIme setting, you might try that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont see where the block could be, the line goes from my tank to the petcock then into the engine. Petcock is set to run, i did try switching to prime for one or two starts after i couldnt get it started and it didnt help. Anything else?

·
Banned
685 Posts
Petcock is set to run, i did try switching to prime for one or two starts after i couldnt get it started and it didnt help. Anything else?
Guessing isn't gonna help any.
Like "guessing" that the fuel line is OK.....or guessing that the spark is good when the trouble is present.

For the PRIme test to be good you need to put it in PRIme and leave it there for a few days......except when stored inside a building.

To test the rest of the fuel line, you need to disconnect it from the carbs and then switch it to PRIme to see how the fuel flows. Could even be low fuel flow because of a plugged tank vent.

If that is good, then you need to re-connect the hose to the carbs and then open the drain screws on the bottom of the bowls; while set to PRIme, fuel should trickle out at a steady pace. If everything else works but THIS test fails, then you have a stuck float or plugged fuel inlet inside the carb.

Things need to be TESTED, one step at a time.

If ALL of that is good, then you might not have a fuel problem at all and it would be time to look at the spark........and consider that the shop might be right with an electrical problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am new around here, but the problem you describe is as follows:
The switch in the fuelline is vacuum controled. the vacuum is coming from the 3th cilinder. you have to do the next 3 steps.
1: disconnect the vacuumline from the cilinder. 2: open the swith buy creating vacuum with your mouth. check if the switch opens the fuelline. than you can see if it is blocked. moest common failure is the membrane that have wear out. so the fuel wil by opening the switch also goes directly through the vacuumline into the cilinder. so check the sparkplug if it has a different color.
you can order at ebay a new membrane for 13 dollars. I hope it is helpfull. regards Richard

·
Registered
7 Posts
'81 suzuki gs550

I'm new to this form of communication, never been on one of these sites before. So i don't even know if anyone will see this. That being said, I have a '81 gs550 that won't start. Cranks over but won't fire. I'm a beginner at motorcycles but have more than some mechanical ability. I've cleaned the carbs. still nothing. Also went as far as removing the gas tank and poured fuel directly into the fuel line to the carbs with no filter, so I know fuel is getting there. Fires if I spray starting fluid directly into carb, but it only runs for a second or two till the fluid burns off. Not sure if this a good explanation, but any ideas that might help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts