Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm trying to take off the muffler of my bike because i managed to stripped the threads on the oil pan after i changed the oil. I plan on rethreading the pan but to get it off i need to take of the muffler and possibly the exhaust. But they are STUCK. i tried grinding down what i thought was rust but looking at it now i'm curious if it's just welded. I'm an experience mechanic but i do enjoy tinkering around. I took the mufflers off my old bike but these once seem to be stuck. any suggestions? i will send pics but i'm new here and need to have more posts before i can. thanks. any info or ideas are great.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
If there is a lot of rust, it may be better to just remove the pipes and mufflers as a complete unit from the engine head. Once the mufflers seal to the pipes for years like that, it's nearly impossible to remove them without damage.

Make sure you soak the head exhaust bolts well before trying to loosen them and don't force them. You may need to use a bit of heat to get them to crack loose cleanly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts