Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this forum but I thought it would be a good way to get some opinions on my problem. I recently bought a 1980 gs550 for $250. Right now I'm in the process of painting and cleaning it up. But a bigger issue is the fact that it won't start. First of all the start button does not turn it over and the only way it does turn over is when you jump the starter relay. I don't know why the start button does not work but I know why it doesn't start. None of the plugs are getting spark. A lot of people are telling me it's the cdi box, others say it's the stator etc. I'm almost positive it's not the could because I don't see both of them going bad at the same time. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Start at the spark plugs and back your way up.

1. With the plugs out and touching the block, do you get a spark?
NO?
2. Pull the insulator back on the plug wire and secure the metal connector, that would normally connect to the plug, close to the frame...get a spark?
NO?
3.Follow the plug wires to the coils...check the input voltage to the coils...

Voltage, Yes, bad coils or plug wires/
Voltage No, follow the wires back again...keep doing this until you find something that is working properly...this how you troubleshoot electrical issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts