Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought a 1980 Suzuki GS1000L. Project bike for next year. Look for a carburetor kit for that particular model, any help would be greatly appreciated. And are all the 1980 GS1000 compatible like the E, G, L, GL?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum. The older I get, the better those old bikes look. Maybe because they're aging better than I am. :)

I never did know much about the Suzy's so sorry I can't be more help, but someone on here will provide some of their knowledge and know how with the bike. Good luck.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yes and no. Some parts are compatible, and some are not. Some years fit, some don't.

Try 'BikeCliff's website. Should have most everything you need for repair, parts, and history.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Normally we would ding you for the lack of introduction but you do have a bike and a location so I guess I'll let it slide.

To answer your question, according to the genuine shop manual (shamelessly copied from a thegsresources thread):

The GS1000C/E/L & the S all have Mikuni VM26SS carbs.
The GS1000GT/GX/GLX had Mikuni BS34SS carbs.
The '79 'SN' series GS1000 ran 28mm Mikuni carbs.

There were bigger carb options like a 30mm, but those were largely for models outside North America.

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Do not even look for carburetor kits, they are notoriously bad! Factory parts only. There are few parts in the GS series carburetors that can't be reused after a 24 hour soak in a good carburetor cleaner (include the carburetor bodies in the dip). Robert Barr at (O-rings for Suzuki GS850 Mikuni Carbs) has very reasonable O-ring kits for boot to motor and all models of carburetors in the GS line of motorcycles. Mikuni or Suzuki will have most other parts you may need. Z1 Enterprises is a good source for gaskets and some hard to get parts. Diaphragms can be replaced with aftermarket sources if needed for your CV carburetors. For factory manuals and tutorials: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts