Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a friend who is selling his 1980 Kawasaki CSR, It's got 19391 miles on it, and is in pretty good shape. From what I can tell he takes good care of it, with one of the only problems being that the left blinker doesn't work, which he said he'll fix before selling. The Kelley Blue Book for it is $605. Now my question is, would you say this is a fair price for the bike? I know bikes usually have lower mileage because people don't use them as much, however I'm not sure if 19k would be considered a lot. I've seen the checklist recommended and I plan to take it with me next time I go look at it. I've ridden it once already and it feels ok, however this is also my first bike, so I'm not sure what to look for. Any tips would be great, or a recommended offer price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello, so many things to consider, this being your first bike I would take someone with you that was very familiar with MCs to determine the exact condition. The miles subject is debateable, was the bike properly maintained and how was it ridden? A good indication when inspecting any vehicle is check the condition of the oil, if the seller doesn't take the time to change the oil regularly good bet they haven't done regular scheduled servicing. Try to determine how much reconditioning it will need to bring the bike up to a safe, reliable mode of transportation wether its business or pleasure. use your senses, do a good visual, any leaks? Noticible defects, broken loose parts? Tires, brake pad condition...etc. Listen closely at idle, any clunks, bangs, grinding? Look at the tips of the exhaust pipes...black soot?, oily substances?...pull a spark plug, same thing, you can tell alot about the internal condition of the motor by examining a plug...covered in soot?Oily...white...ashy? I highly suggest a compression test.....many repairs can be completed inexpensively unless....it involves major engine overhaul. All in all once you determine or estimate how much money you are willing to invest, then you can determine how much you are willing to give initially for the bike in its present condition. I hope this helps and you have good luck!

·
What?
865 Posts
Before you buy any old bike, more than 10 to 13 years old, look around and see if you can get parts first or a parts bike. The only real Kawasaki bikes I know that parts are easy to find are the KZ bikes from the 70's and 80's. Look see if you can find a place to work on it as well, most dealers wont touch a bike that old other than oil changes and tires. 19k would be a mid mileage bike IMO.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I can't really say anything against it, since I just purchased three old bikes to fix up. If it's running and doesn't really have any major issues, $600 isn't a bad price for it. Get a manual for it, since you'll probably be the one fixing it. One of my local Honda dealers will do major work on older bikes, but only during the off season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts