Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So, big day - excited about finally putting my Twinstar back together and wouldn't you know it? The torque wrench that I bought from Ghetto Freight, :: ahem :: I mean Harbor Freight, malfunctioned and I over-torqued my bolt. It snapped in two (yes, I was following the instructions. No, I've never done this before). The bolt I'm talking about is the lower internal bolt (right side crank case bolt) inside the engine. It's literally the first of two bolts you put in to hold the darn thing together.

I just spent the good part of 3 hours getting the right side of the crankcase onto the left. I'm pretty PO'ed right about now. I have to re-open the case, get a new gasket kit to replace the one I'll inevitably destroy, order a new bolt, and put hours more of work into this trying to get the snapped bolt out of the left side without damaging the case.

I'm hoping beyond all hope that someone out there will tell me not to worry about that bolt and just continue putting the engine together and never think about it again.

I'm expecting everyone here to tell me that there isn't any other choice and to suck it up and just do it.

Thanks for your time and help. It's my first time working on a motorcycle engine. I knew I'd f something up, but didn't think it would be this awful. :(

~Catie G.

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
That bolt is there for structural reasons, else it wouldn't be there. Sorry, I don't see any way around taking it back apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resp to WintrSol

Thanks for the reply. Any tip for me on how to more easily pull apart the two halves? Last time I used a rubber mallet and a wooden block wrapped in a sock and tapped it all around for hours and hours until it finally gave. I was so worried I'd crack my case.

Oh, and I'm not sure about this, but in breaking that bolt and turning the engine willy-nilly to try to see where it broke inside, oil that I used to lubricate the internal gears started leaking out of the case. I'm guessing that it totally destroyed my gasket. Am I right?

Thanks again,
Catie G.
:coffee:

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
The first time you separated it, you had to undo years of parts sticking together; I think you'll find it somewhat easier this time. And, since that was the first bolt, you may not have damaged the gasket, since it wasn't really compressed much. I always 'sneak up' on the torque, in the pattern shown in the service manual, first hand tight, then about 1/2 rated torque, and increasing some each go-around, so all bolts come home without stressing the aluminum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reply to WintrSol

Yah, probably around 33 years of stick. Great point. I'll be working on it tonight when I get home. It's going to be an interesting night. I'm definitely taking your advice and doing the creeper torque. I won't make that mistake again.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts