Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 1980 Honda CM200T. Replaced the plugs put a brand new carb on it the old one had tons of rust (trying to get it adjusted currently)

The Bike will run with full choke but if i drop the choke it dies out. It throttles fine and will stay idling. Any idea why It wont run without choke? Anyone know what settings i should start with on the carb? Im pretty handy. Bike has single pod air filter btw.

Also anyone know the oil capacity of this bike? have not been able to find anything or the manual online =/ im assuming like 2 1/2 quarts of 10w 40?:smiley_drinkcoffee:

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Failure to run without choke is an indication that the fuel mixture is too lean. It's either getting too much air (through an adjustment or an air leak) or not enough fuel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea I was thinking lack of fuel so i pulled the Petcock and OMG holy jesus. Can anyone tell me what this plastic im pulling out is?!

I tried to add images but apparently this forum wont let me post pictures... -_-

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Well just an update of where I am, i pulled the petcock and it was completely clogged. I tried unclogging it and using seafoam to clean out the tank. It was clear that this wasnt going to cut it. I started pulling out what looked like thin plastic, assuming its the old filter as there is no longer one attached to the petcock. I bought a couple gallons of cider vinegar and threw in a handful of new nuts ive been shaking it for a few hours and im going to let it sit over night

then it will be time to rinse and rinse attach and inline fuel filter and see if its plausible to use this tank of if im gonna be out a couple hundred bucks buying a new one:71baldboy:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So its deff. not the filter.looks like it was some tank repair kit installed improperly. Ive been pulling plastic out all morning. Not easy. Anyone have ideas?:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this has been two days of continuous cleaning of this tank. So far Ive done several rounds of apple cider vinegar(works great) and have finally got all the plastic out (it was like getting a pick out of a guitar for each piece FML) Unfortunately i had to use the hose to rinse the tank out because i didnt have enough distilled water. So after i finally get this thing pristine inside does anyone have any advice on what I should treat the tank with to prevent rust in the future before i put gas in it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fresh gasoline is actually a decent rust preventative.
Ok so.. i filled her up with fresh gas put a little seafoam in it and cleaned the carb(brand new carb when i installed but I had run some of the ****ty gas through it so i wanted to clean it up).

I put everything back on and installed an inline fuel filter to prevent what i can because i highly doubt the tank is 100%.
The bike started right up and is idling great with / without the choke now. (small victories)

Decided to see if it would drive (first time taking it out of nuetral since i bought it)

it is shifting and moving fine but if i give it more than a little throttle it makes a weird sound from the small air filter that runs into the engine itself and bogs down wanting to die until i pull the clutch back in, then it comes back to life and lets me rev it out a bit :confused: .

I have My needle height set at the second ring from the bottom and my fuel screw set out to 1 3/4 turns out. I set the idle at about 1500 RPM. Gonna experiment with the only adjustment this carb has trying it at 2 full turns out.

Any suggestions would be helpful otherwise im winging it hoping i find a sweet spot on the settings. Where should I start? should I go up or down on needle height? Whats that sound from the small pod filter? what is that small pod filter go to anyway? *trying to learn* (will post pics when i hit 15 posts to make it easier to understand me)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok whoever is reading, Bike is good to go for now and riding great with all the power i need.

Final carb settings :
2 1/4 turns out
idle set at about 1500 RPM (no meter so im not positive)
clip on needle on second ring from the bottom

hopefully this will save someone a day or two fiddling, and Im told it changes with temperature and elevation etc..? this is a good place to start i guess. Thanks for everyones help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts