Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to change the cylinder head on a 1980 Honda CM200T.

In order to remove the cylinder head I need to remove the camshaft. Photos of the current state of the project attached.

The first step in the manual is, "1. Temporarily install the alternator rotor onto the crankshaft and rotate is until one of the cam sprocket bolts is exposed. Remove the exposed bolt. 2. Rotate the crankshaft 360 counterclockwise and remove the other sprocket bolt."

I never removed the alternator rotor. Do I need to access the crank shaft to get the cam shaft to rotate? Can I just put the bike in gear and push it?

Thank you,

Attachments

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
You could do that I suppose, but turning the crankshaft with a wrench is probably easier IMO. Maybe not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Putting in gear is too hard for me. Im a 120 lb female. Upper gear would be easiest right?

Cmon start: I am a little nervous about accessing the crank shaft. Is that a big job?

Mikewiththeevilblackhat: what is pull the plugs and how does that make the kickstarter easy to push?

Thank you both.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
If you don't have one, a repair manual is worth its weight in gold!! It basically spells everything out step by step for you - well worth the money.

I have no direct experience with your bike, but usually the end of the crankshaft is pretty easily accessed on one side or another for maintenance - in order to turn the engine over. Or use the kick starter if you have it.

Mike's suggestion about removing the plugs is right on! It will help the engine turn easier because you're not compression the gas in each cylinder.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's been 30+ years since trading in my Twinstar, Some of the details might be "Off". LOL. You can access the end of the crankshaft thru a round coverplate on the left end of the crankcase. Has either 2 or 3 phillips head bolts on it. Underneath you'll find the plate for adjusting the points and timing. Should be a metric nut on the end of the crank. You can turn that to turn the engine over.

Should be able to get a 2nd hand manual at a used book store for about $10. It'll make it a lot easier to get all the timing marks lined up if you do pull the gear out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am trying to get the cylinder head off because I stripped the threads on one of my spark plugs. Stupid mistake. The new cylinder head was cheap but the process of replacing it is taking forever.

I do have a manual and I am trying to use it but I did not understand what it meant when it said, "temporarily install the alternator rotor onto the crankshaft."

I will try to rotate the crankshaft this weekend and report back Monday.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Might have to drop the engine completely out to get the cylinder body to clear the frame. Dollar wise it might be cheaper to take the part to a shop and have the sparkplug hole helicoiled (@$20) than to have all the valve train transfered to the new part. It's a tough little engine, mine went 58k before trade in. Good luck.

cylinder base gasket, don't forget a new cylinder base gasket. If it leaks your camshaft gets fried. (don't ask how I know that)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts