Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1980 CB900 custom bike. I am having problems with the being able to start my bike. I can turn on the ignition key and get lights but when I push the starter button nothing happens, just the headlight will dim when I push it. I have replaced the starter solenoid but didn't seem to fix the problem. I can bypass the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and the motorcycle will start. Does anyone know what I need to look for next?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
By bypassing the starter switch, you are able to start the engine. My first guess would be something to do with the starter switch or the wiring to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've check all wiring and even pulled apart the start switch and everything looked good. Then I read Johno's thread. You nailed it! I pulled in the clutch and bingo. So now what do I do with this faulty clutch?

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you take the 2 wires off the clutch switch you should be able to short them out by putting a link wire in.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
The lights are supposed to go out when you press the starter button.When you press the button,the act of doing so is supposed to ground one of the little wires that complete the circuit that grounds the solenoid. It is possible that the starter button is not getting a good ground to the bike [probably at the handlebars]

Hondas usually have standard wiring colors,and on my honda with this issue, all I have to do is to ground the wore that is yellow with the red stripe to the ground anywhere on the bike.

Google Honda motorcycle wiring colors and you will find more info

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the clutch lever safety switch, it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

There is also a neutral safety switch.

If the neutral safety switch is working properly, you should be able to start the engine without pulling in the clutch lever, as long as the transmission is in neutral.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trying to replace neutral indicator switch on 1980 Honda 900 CB

Can anyone tell me how to get the oil pump cover off of this bike? I am trying to replace the neutral indicator switch and the book tells me that I have to take off the oil pump cover but that contains oil so I drained the oil and took out the bolts but am unable to pull it off.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
The ignition switches from this era bike are plastic and they do wear out slowly. My switch did this, and finally quit entirely. It is one of those things that are cheap enough to fix that it may just need to be looked at as a maintenance item. Testing the voltage out of the switch did no good, because the problem came and went. Testing for voltage drop would have been better

Anyway, here is one for a 1979 CB750 your bike might be the same or maybe not.

https://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Ignition-Switch-Repair-Universal/dp/B003CJCCKM

The factory Honda number for your bike switch is best located on partzilla. Factory stuff is no longer available, so by entering the part number on the open internet search, the Amazon link to the aftermarket repair kit appeared.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts