Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, (1980 Honda 900C top end rebuild)
Hoping for some help.
Got myself a 'sticky' valve resulting in no compression in cylinder #2, so need to take of the top and check the valves/seats/....
My question is - do you need to remove the engine to take the cylinder top off?
The engine with secondary tranny is so extremely heavy and was hoping to find an alternate way in order to remove the top end.
Thanks for you help.
Cheers,
Anders

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Hello Husaberg...

Engine removal would make top end repairs easier, but to my knowledge, no Honda has ever been made that requires engine removal for top end rebuild. I could be wrong though... But I have to ask, how did you arrive at this conclusion that you have a sticky valve?? Have you preformed a proper leak down test on that cylinder?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Leak down tests are really helpful, and easier than pulling a top end if you don't need to!

That said though, I don't know about 80s Hondas, but all of the 70's ones I've worked on required the engine to be pulled for any top end work to be done. It's a pain. And the engines barely clear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks OneEyedJack, yes, I did a compression test which resulted in zero compression, as well as some blow-back in this cylinders' carburator. Appears I need to take the engine out. cmonSTART, thank you, I suspect that I might need to take it out, I had really hoped not to have to, especially given the shear weight, as well as trying to mate the shaft drive to the secondary tranny when putting it back.

Anyone else, had really appreciated some input as to if this engine needs to be removed.

Cheers,
Anders

1 - 4 of 4 Posts