Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done little maintenance on motorcycles.
I do have a mechanical mind but cleaning carbs is kind of a scary idea.
If any one can help me out with this it would be great.
What are the tools and chemicals will I need for this project?
Also what kind of time frame are we talking, 3-6 hours? take in mind I am a beginner.
I live in Brooklyn so space is hard to come by. Can I feasible do this on the street, in my apartment?
I do have access to a basement, will that be the best location?
Thanks for any technical support and encouragement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
carb clean

well as far as your work space pull the carbs off bike in a location where it dont matter if you spill some fuel on ground because it never fails you have to lean or twist carbs to get them off and you might loose some fuel in the process as far as tools basic tools i pulled my off my 80cm400t and i used a star and flat head screw driver and a wrench to remove the cables the way i pulled mine was work the boots on airbox in towards the box a flat head will do this once you have them into box far enough you can slide the carbs back toward the airbox and off the intake boots slide the carbs off to one side and remove the cables oh the choke arm will hit the frame and will bend so when your sliding it sideway watch that little arm and a can of carb cleaner should be all you need to clean it out spray out all the jets and should be good to go
good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
questions

I have an 81 CM400e that has problems with the carbs also. but mine are actually leaking gas. I am a newbie to repair in general so i was wondering if anyone knew a model number or anything like that for the carbs that are on my bike so i might be able to find a diagram or repair manual for them. also if anyone knows where to find such manuals please post links.
I would like to get a good idea of how the carbs work and what to expect before i tear them off and try to rebuild them.

thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts