Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a 1980 honda cb125s, and my bike has almost no horsepower now. it was running fine, until my throttle cable broke. I changed that, and hadn't put the part that goes in the carb right so it was open, and it just revved really hard. I fixed my error, but now I have almost no power and the bike dies, almost like its flooding. Is this a cam chain issue? there is a racket coming from where the tensioner is (sounds like a lot of BBs rolling around). I don't know much about motorcycles, I am learning on this bike. I appreciate any responses.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Noises can be difficult to diagnose via the web. It sounds like you may have over revved the bike a bit which isn't good for it, and BB like noises sound scary. Hopefully it's something simple.

Are you able to upload a video to Youtube and link to it here? It's really helpful when people are able to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the noise stopped and I was just comfortably goin 45 with no issues... not sure what the problem was, but I checked my oil and there is a little gas in it. maybe the needle isn't getting a good seal from me messing with throttle cable? Thank you for your response.d

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I went for a ride this morning to auto zone to get some oil, and it rode fine, but on my way back, the bike died in first gear. I tried to start it again, but it just backfired. Luckily my house was less than 100 yards away. bad piston rings? the backfiring worries me...

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
You're going to have to break down whether the stall/backfire is ignition related, fuel related, or something else. It's pretty easy to check for spark - that will rule that out. Likewise you can check to see if the carb bowls have fuel in them.

Do you know if your bike has a points ignition?

I wouldn't pronounce the piston rings bad until you put a compression or leak down tester on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yah I am pretty sure it has a points ignition. Now it just wont start at all... will check for fuel problems tomorrow. I am pretty sure it is getting gas to the motor though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts