Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike is the bike that made me want to ride from the beginning. My grandpa owned it from brand new and he and myself are considering selling/trading it because it is becoming more of a project than we can handle and a new Harley for me to start with sounds like a decent idea. I was wondering what others think about this decision, should i sell or not? it would defiantly help with the cost of a new bike. and if we sell is anyone out there looking to own a great classic bike, it runs well and has been my favored mode of transportation for the last 3 years.

L

·
0 Posts
Mornin' Willmo88 and welcome to the Forum! :D

Yikes? I'm probably the worst guy you could talk to in here (except maybe PintSlayer?! :D
) about this particular sled but…. Of the 12+/- Harleys I’ve owned over the years, my past 1979 FLH-80 Electra-Glide ‘Classic’ was the one H-D I absolutely would never EVER care to have back again! Gotta’ say truthfully that old scoot and myself just didn’t get along! Again, I’m one of those (?) ‘odd-ball’ people out there that really had pretty good luck with Harleys over the years. Be they Shovels, old Cast-Iron Sporties, or the later (with SOME gripes!) Evo (Blockhead) and Fathead TC. But that old (AMF Worker Sabotaged!) Higher-Comp first model 1340’s Shovel I had was like Oil and Water – we just didn’t click!

However, in your case you got something I didn’t: that ride IS practically ‘family’. And that factor is like all the difference in the world. I’m saying if there’s anyway you can swing it, find some way (some how) to hang onto that ride… and keep it safe (to pass on to future generations). That’s my take on it, for what it’s worth….. Nuff’ said.

LRG :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea and ideally i would love to keep it and get another but I dont see that as an option:( thank you tho for your thoughts

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Check and see what your local dealer will give you for trade-in. That might help you find a starting point for deciding whether or not to sell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trade in is roughly 3,500 to 4,000. retail (if i were to sell private) could be between 4,500 to 6,500.

L

·
0 Posts
All I can add is some 12 years ago or so I lost (had to get my family bills paid...) my (first) 1981 FXS-80 Low-Rider Shovelhead, the first H-D I ever had brand new (in 1983) and a ride that I surely thought I would have forever. It wasn't the best bike I ever owned but I trusted that scoot... to go out for a day's ride OR to take cross-country. I really understood that bike and I swear we had (if such a thing IS even possible?!) an 'understanding'. Can't say I've felt that comfortable with any machine since (and they've let me down accordingly). All I'm sayin' is sometimes you gotta' step back and look at the big picture (between the lines): are these just 'things', just lumps of money that come and go from out respective lives?! Or is there something more? A spirit perhaps?! One that can be good or evil, but perhaps something more then just a collection of parts? I dunno... but I choose to play it safe (with most things) and just give em' all a benefit of a doubt.

Nuff' said,
LRG :cool:

Yea and ideally i would love to keep it and get another but I dont see that as an option:( thank you tho for your thoughts

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
Check and see what your local dealer will give you for trade-in. That might help you find a starting point for deciding whether or not to sell.
Most dealers wouldn't touch it with a ten-meter cattle prod. If they do take it, they'll hose you on the value. They don't even like Shovels on the property, and they're starting to turn their backs on some of the earlier Evos.

Keep the thing. Make a project out of restoring it to showroom condition. Enter it in some shows or something. As much as I despise Harleys, I'd hate to see you sell Grampa's bike. Not many people can fire up a bike that's been in the family for three generations for a Sunday ride in spring to smell the lilacs and hot leaking 50-weight!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts