Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Last year I bought a Honda CT90 (Trail 90) from a kid that thought he could repair it but found out it was too much work. $250 left my hands and this ended up in my truck.

As you can see it’s missing a bunch of things, but is mostly complete. there Was no title so I had to go through all the inspection stuff which meant I had to get it all together first.

So here it is right after inspection, it still doesn’t run but it’s now mine.

a couple days after the inspection I got it running and here it is just after I got back from a little ride.

But this wasn’t good enough for me. First I hate yellow, but that’s the only color a 1978 comes in, there are still a few missing pieces and while it does run, it doesn’t run well.

I called an old friend. He was my auto body instructor when I was in high school back in the early 90’s and he is still teaching. Since I have issues with the paint chemicals I decided to ask him if he wanted a project for his students. He agreed and I tore the bike down to go get worked on.

A couple days after this picture was taken I gave the kids at New Market Skills Center a fun project. This was around November of 2019.

sorry I didn’t get any pics of the work in progress at the body shop but I went to visit the bike in February and it was in primer and almost ready for the color. Then before the bike could get painted the school shut down for that virus 🦠. I will end part 1 here.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So with the bike locked up I really got bummed I would not get it back in time for summer. I ended up getting that virus 🦠 right after the visit to see the progress and to pick out the colors. What color did I pick? Well I decided to go with a color scheme that Honda used a few times on these bikes but with a twist. I choose Toxic Orange (Dodge Hellcat color) and a medium silver/grey metallic that was popular in the early 2000’s from Chrysler as well. I got a call in July from the instructor and he wanted a confirmation of the colors because he was allowed to teach a summer class, and there would be enough time to finish the bike! The bike got painted, but they didn’t finish until the last day of summer class so I was not able to pick it up again... fast forward to the beginning of September and the instructor will be getting the shop ready for class before school starts and I will be able to finally get my bike back!

so without further typing, here is what I picked up

Since these were taken I have started working on all the little goodies that are needed to make a bike whole. The front shocks are now black, the wheels are going to be powder coated black, and all the other goodies are being stripped and painted with an epoxy/ceramic black paint the only chrome will be the mirrors and the turn signal pods.

The engine has been disassembled and I am waiting new engine cases. Someone in this bike’s history tried to kick it over with the clutch cover off and broke the case where the kick shaft goes. I also have a new piston coming soon too. I plan on vapor blasting the cases and painting them with Cerakote titanium, which is a light bronze color.

I will get some pics soon of the accessories I have been painting and stay tuned for the rest of the build!

Reactions: CRracer712

·
On The Road Again!
3,405 Posts
Looks good!
I have a stock '77 model in orange.
Fun little machine.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,146 Posts
Looks almost gold to me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey guys, I got a bit more done today, some of the no longer available hardware cleaned up really nice in the Evapo-rust last night, and there are now more pieces soaking in it as well. This stuff also likes to cause the 43 year old lacquer paint to peel off. That works for me, less time needed sanding and wire wheeling.

So as promised here are some of the parts that I have finished and are just about ready to install on the bike.

Here are the shifter, and the inner and outer battery box.

Here are quite a few parts. These are the steering neck, the hand controls and the rear brake lever.

This is the strap that holds the auxiliary fuel tank.

And this is the so far worst condition part I had to deal with. This is the center stand which was severely rusted, and you can still see the pits. It is still strong, and I didn’t feel like filling and sanding it all when this part is barely seen any way.

I hope you all enjoy, comments are always welcome!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yea, forgot one.

here are the front forks. Ignore the rusted shafts, those are going to be replaced, they are just installed to help with the assembly of the bike.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys. Ok I know I have only shown the finished product when it has come to these restored parts. So let’s show you what I have really been working with.

So these are the middle step, right before painting. Believe it or not... just believe it... these parts have not seen a sandblaster or vapor blast cabinet. They have also not been through a wire wheel (except the kick stand). Between a soak in the parts washer filled with Purple Power and water and another soak in the Evapo-rust This is the result.

And here is the cylinder sitting in the Evapo-rust getting treated. It will prolly be in there for 24 hours maybe more. Wanna see what it looked like before the dip, check the video out in my next post.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here we go. I also found a video I never published and I have thrown that in for giggles. The first vid is from the day I tore the bike apart for the body shop.

And here is the first vid in my series about the Evapo-Rust and how well it cleans the parts. I really like this stuff, it works wonders.

Hope you all like. Comments are always welcome!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So here we go with the follow up video on the Evapo-rust process. I think my stuff is getting worn out as the parts are not coming out as clean as they had been. They were still cleaned but I had to take a brush to remove the final traces, when before there would be no trace left. No biggy really just a bit of extra work. Check out the video of the cylinder being removed and cleaned up. Don't worry I didn't record the scrubbing part.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK so another run in the vat of Evapo-Rust. This time the engine cylinder came out really nice looking. The hubs also came out great. Also I got a couple new parts which you will see on the video below. They were pretty dirty and needed a bath in the parts washer.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey guys, this is going to be the last big update for a while. I’m out of parts to assemble! It’s not complete yet, it still needs the rims rebuilt then the engine finished but the frame is almost done! Wiring is next. I’m happy with how it has turned out so far. Lemme know what you think.

CC795B6E-937C-4210-9DBA-A54129AD81D1.jpeg

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,146 Posts
Look good so far

Reactions: RebelnDirt

·
On The Road Again!
3,405 Posts
Looks very good. I like the color.
So while you are waiting for parts,
here is a picture of mine.
It's a '77, mostly all original. I'm the
second owner.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look good so far
Thank you. I decided after several days in my de-rusting solution that my wheels are not adequate for powder coating. I’m gonna build new wheels, so just getting cheap spokes for my existing wheels to get them back together. Thankfully all the parts of the wheels are still available.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks very good. I like the color.
So while you are waiting for parts,
here is a picture of mine.
It's a '77, mostly all original. I'm the
second owner.

View attachment 63784
Good looking bike! Can’t wait to see mine out on the road again!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so this weekend was a weekend of cleaning, and stripping... paint guys stripping paint.

So I got my engine ready to go to the vapor blast shop which will happen in a few weeks, I need the $$$ first. After talkin to the shop they recommended removing the paint from the painted parts to save $$ on the time. So I bought some paint stripper and took care of it all. I also removed the studs for the cylinder and head, and all the dowels. Not all the dowels came out right but they are all still available from Honda so no biggy.

Started with this...

Ended the day with this...

Some of the hardware got blued. I have a Birchwood Casey cold bluing kit that I used to blue this hardware because the nickel coating on them is long gone. I’m not sure how long they will last but it’s better than bare steel.

And last but not least, I painted the cylinder black. It’s a metallic black, I think it looks really good.

Thats all for now. Tomorrow I will be painting the tail light bracket if it is not raining.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts