Motorcycle Forum banner

1978 CB400T1 Hawk fork issue

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Unkle Krusty 
#1 ·
Hi yall! I have a winter project of tearing down this old bike and rebuilding it. Im going for a scrambler look rather than café and things have gone pretty smooth so far such as finding brake pads (germany) and wire wheel brushing all the rust away! I just took off the forks and got a surprise... as far as I can tell from the parts diagrams in the chilton manual I bought, the parts look like a combination of original non air assist springs and top screws but going into maybe later year rebel fork tube parts and I seem to be missing some spacers at the top of the spring. There is only the one spring and when I took off the fork caps there was no tension so its clear that im missing these spacers. Problem is I cant find them anywhere! So I decided to possible make them out of aluminum stock. What do you think? Thanks! I may be able to post pics now im not sure, ill try....

#5 ·
I should have read the title. 78 Honda Hawk. I sold a few of those. The correct parts diagram is your best bet. The top caps are usually annoying to put on, because of the spring tension. The spring sticks out about 1 inch. There are no shims on the top of the latest ones I have had apart. Aluminium stock should work fine. Later I might check my book on suspension for spring pressure. There was no air in any of the Hondas back in 78. At least not that I recall.

UK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.