Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got what seems like a steal of an opportunity to purchase a 1978 BMW R80/7 for $600. The bike does not currently run and has been sitting in storage for years. I'll be planning on doing a complete rebuild of the bike myself over the next year or two and hopefully making it pretty enough to bring to shows (but probably not ever enter in for competitions). What do you think, am I getting into something that will be a huge money pit, or can I get parts and repairs for a fair price here? I'd like to keep the total budget under $2000 excluding labor, since it will be free for me to do it.

Can't post links yet, so you will have to modify this manually to see the pics:
imgur (dot) com/a/DDOVz

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Without actually knowing what's wrong with it, it will be a gamble. You can keep the costs down if you are able to do any needed work yourself, but if it has to go into the shop for anything major, it will eat through your budget quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would imagine that I would only need a shop for things like honing the cylinders or head work. I've rebuilt a Katana 750 motor in my garage already, but it was in working order before disassembly.

What are some of the worst case things I should be looking for? Frozen motor that won't crank over? Assuming that nothing internal is destroyed, I think a deep clean and new gaskets will do wonders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts