Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just picked up my first project bike, a 76 XL250 roller for $50. Need an engine and trans.

Looking to do a straight forward engine swap, so want to get a replacement engine rather than something from a different model and modify to fit as this is my first go at this. Found a 79 XL250s engine, twin cylinder, on ebay. Looks like the mounts are very similar if not the same. Anyone know if they are similar?

The bigger question is did Honda use the engine from the 72-77 xl250s in any other models so I can widen my search for a donor?

Any guidance is appreciated!

DC

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
The XL250 of the seventies, was a single cylinder OHC engine. If someone has a twin 250 , is is probably not an XL250. You need a single cylinder XL250 engine. There should be plenty available. Millions were sold.
I owned more than one of them, and sold a bunch. Memory tells me they are six volt, and the headlight is not very bright. You can get 6 volt bulbs for CB lights. I probably have one somewhere.

UK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Just looked up the specs in more detail for the 79... the engine that's for sale. It has dual exhaust outlets but is still single cylinder. Is that beneficial over the single exhaust earlier model engines?

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Two exhaust outlets from the cylinder head is a good system. If yours has a single outlet ( exhaust header ) then you will need different pipes. The down tube on the frame may be different as well. I stopped selling Hondas in 76, so I am not up to speed on the 79.

UK

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
The XL250 models. 72 and 73. 74 and 75. 76 to 78. XL250S 78 and 79. 80 and 81. XL250R 82 and on.
The dual exhaust pipe model starting in 78 has the same single down tube, with the pipes going either side. I have no idea if the engine mounts are in the same position. motorcyclespecs.co.za has pics and specs of the bikes.

UK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! That site is very helpful, looks like the rear suspension setup changed from 76-78 to the xl250s, not sure how much that would effect what I'm doing but I think staying away from an S is the safe move.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
The XL250 was a good bike for around town, and on gravel roads. As an off road bike, it was heavier and had less power than the two stroke bikes. It had 20 hp according to the bike spec site. The slightly newer XR200 had 23 hp and weighed less. The XR series starting with the XR75, were better off road bikes. I noticed the twin exhaust engine had about the same hp as the single pipe.

UK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts