Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm a new rider and was given a bike from my brother that is not a Harley, but I plan to use this as my first bike and then in a couple of years finally get myself a Harley. In the meantime, I guess I can have a small piece of the Harley experience by having Harley saddlebags lol! My brother customized this V-Star with the bracket and saddlebags from a 1976 Shovelhead. My question is, are there any other Harley saddlebags that will work with this bracket or do I have to stick to these particular set of saddlebags. I wish I could post a pic or a link, but I don't have a high enough post count yet.

Any thoughts and thank you in advance!
Dan

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
The best thing would be to make a few posts on the forum until you have the count and then post a few pictures. Without seeing it's going to be hard to tell exactly what you have, and the chances of it being all OEM parts on a 40 year old bike are pretty slim. On the other hand, if by chance you have the OEM part numbers I can easily look it up.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops, so I can't edit the original post anymore, so here's a quick post with some pics...

Here's the frame:

and here's the bag attached:

So the bag has two holes in the sides where the bag attaches to the frame and small clips in the bag hold it in place, as well as metal grips on the bottom of the bag that clamp on to the frame's lower bar.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Those look like OEM frames and bags for an FLH, sure enough.

You can get replacement bags that will look about the same, and you can also probably find a multi-fit leather type bag that will also fit the frame you have. Edge leather should make one, but it's likely to be expensive. You could also just get an inexpensive pair of throw-over bags and drill holes for the two frame pins to come through. Adding a big fender washer on the inside would be a good idea too.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Judging by the part numbers the bags that will fit your brackets will be the ones from 1968 to 1984, so the 2003 Roadking bags you mentioned will fit the later style mountings and not what you have on your bike. You might be able to get them to work, but you'll have to do some fabricating, and without having them in my hands I couldn't say how much. You might just have to drill new holes for the pins, but you could also run into a problem with the shock recesses and bottom shape.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Judging by the part numbers the bags that will fit your brackets will be the ones from 1968 to 1984, so the 2003 Roadking bags you mentioned will fit the later style mountings and not what you have on your bike. You might be able to get them to work, but you'll have to do some fabricating, and without having them in my hands I couldn't say how much. You might just have to drill new holes for the pins, but you could also run into a problem with the shock recesses and bottom shape.
Ok good stuff, thank you! So right now I am shopping around to see how much to repair/paint the ones I have vs new ones.

Dan

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys another question... I'm thinking of taking off the bags and getting them repaired and repainted... I might take off the chrome ribbing (it's just stick on) and put on some bag rails. I am looking at something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350806304617?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

But I can't really figure this out... will those bag rails screw in to the same bolt holes that the bag racks? Going by the photos, it looks like one of them bolts on to the bottom support bracket neat the end of the tailpipe, but not sure where that other one would do. If these are no good, can someone tell me if there are rails that exist that would use the current bolt locations of the mounting rack?

Thanks!
Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts