Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home from work the other day and my bike cut out, engine stopped, no power, not even indicator lights. Knowing that my battery is four years old I bought a new one, charged it up and popped it in the Honda. The bike started and away I went. The next day I rode to work again(7miles), no problem. On the way home I made it about 2 miles and the same thing happened, bike went dead, no power. I checked the ground and everything seems to be in order there as far as connections are concerned. Before I make assumptions and spend a bunch of time running wires or spending money on parts I am not sure I need, does anyone have any suggestions? Cheers!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Recharge your battery, then check your voltages - engine off, idle, revved.

Off should be 12.8ish
Idle should be 13.5ish
Revved should reach 14.1ish - maybe a hair more.

Sounds like your charging system isn't working.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Had the same problem on an old 750 years ago. Run just fine and then....nothing. Wait awhile, jiggling wires around and she would fire right up.

I found out that I had a wire (Don't remember where it went) that had lost it's insulation and was grounding out on the frame. After checking your voltage, be sure and take the time to check all your wires and connections. Actually, connections first, then wires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts