Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am in the middle of my cafe racer project and I have hit a bit of a snag. The bike has been running for a few seasons and I've been slowly moding it when I have the time and money. This past winter I rebuilt my carb. New rubber seals, jets and had the carb professionally cleaned. After reinstalling it the bike ran great! and continued to run very well throughout the beginning half of this summer. Then one day I was out for a ride and when I hit the upper part of 3rd gear and going into 4th the engine sounded like it was bogged down and i had no acceleration. And as I slowed down to pull over she stalled all together. I got it running again and the low rpms run as well as they ever did but the upper ones just bog down and stall. I can't imagine its a carb issue since I just cleaned it and a few months prior. I added fuel line screens and clean those periodically and I emptied and clean the gas tank and tried new fuel, that didn't do the trick. My spark plus are clean and new. Im guessing its the points or a jetting issue. I do not know how to adjust and set the points and I just had the jets set and have made no exhaust modifications after re-jetting. I could really use some help on this one so if anyone has any ideas or pointers I am all ears! Thanks in advance!

--Dunn

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
Have you taken the bowl off the carb and had a look? The symptoms speak of something that came loose, like the jet falling out, or the float valve failing.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sorry I don't have any insight into your issues, but I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I was riding a CB175 when the CB360T came out, all those years ago, and I wanted one so bad I could spit, but I was young and couldn't afford it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read that if the carbs are not synced properly it can lead to the same problem that I am facing. So before i pull the carb again I am going to balance the carbs. I have built a home made gauge to help with this process. and if that doesn't solve my problems I will be pulling the carbs.. again.
Here is the title of the video i found for the gauge, I would post the link but i need 15 more posts according to this forum, It is very crude and cheap but actually works very well!
on Youtube "How to Balance Motorcycle Carbs" posted by Forrest Trenaman

-- Dunn

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
It never hurts to get your carbs balanced - makes for a smoother-running machine. But, to suddenly quit like that doesn't sound like a sync issue, to me. Unless the throttle cable came loose on one carb, that is. Once you eliminate the carbs, make sure you check the battery connections, too, and see that the run/stop is clean and working well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I just finished balancing the carbs and it sounds and runs smoother in the lower rpms, but still has the sluggish bogged down feel in the higher rpms. Looks like its time to pull the carb again.

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
Yes, if it is clogged enough. Since it seems to have started fairly quickly, check for a mouse nest in the filter box.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Since you describe this as being an issue occurring between 3rd and 4th.....

It is possible that there is some dirt in your hydraulic brakes that is dragging the front brake just enough that it feels like a power loss. The situation sneaks up on you and it feels like the bike has no power in the higher gears.

Jack up the front tire off the pavement and it should spin freely. If it doesn't, well there you are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone! I am in the middle of my cafe racer project and I have hit a bit of a snag. The bike has been running for a few seasons and I've been slowly moding it when I have the time and money. This past winter I rebuilt my carb. New rubber seals, jets and had the carb professionally cleaned. After reinstalling it the bike ran great! and continued to run very well throughout the beginning half of this summer. Then one day I was out for a ride and when I hit the upper part of 3rd gear and going into 4th the engine sounded like it was bogged down and i had no acceleration. And as I slowed down to pull over she stalled all together. I got it running again and the low rpms run as well as they ever did but the upper ones just bog down and stall. I can't imagine its a carb issue since I just cleaned it and a few months prior. I added fuel line screens and clean those periodically and I emptied and clean the gas tank and tried new fuel, that didn't do the trick. My spark plus are clean and new. Im guessing its the points or a jetting issue. I do not know how to adjust and set the points and I just had the jets set and have made no exhaust modifications after re-jetting. I could really use some help on this one so if anyone has any ideas or pointers I am all ears! Thanks in advance!

--Dunn
Since you describe this as being an issue occurring between 3rd and 4th.....

It is possible that there is some dirt in your hydraulic brakes that is dragging the front brake just enough that it feels like a power loss. The situation sneaks up on you and it feels like the bike has no power in the higher gears.

Jack up the front tire off the pavement and it should spin freely. If it doesn't, well there you are.
I had a honda 360, it had a timing chain issue, it would jump timing often, it was finally recalled. Another issue I had was when I rode into a curve in the highway, the bike would lean the opposite way, traded it in for a honda hawk 400

1 - 10 of 10 Posts