Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 1975 Yamaha TX500A (I think) and I've got a few questions because although I'm not new to motorcycling...I am new to vintage motorcycles. *I want to begin by providing my VIN: 371208643. *The titled year of the bike is 1975, it's in fair condition (needs a lot of TLC and I don't have keys for it). *I was looking through shspowersports.com (I use them most often) for a new ignition/gas cap/seat lock that come with keys and the first thing I notice is that there is no TX500A in 1975 so I checked the sticker on the frame and the bike was produced in 1974 (expected). *Is it a common issue that the year on the title is incorrect or is the bike something other than a TX500A? *Also, is it possible to get a key made for the bike or does anyone know where I can get the three locks with the common key between them?

Thanks for any help!

Chris

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Most of the bikes sold in the first 4 or 5 months of any year, were made the year before. Hard to have a new bike in the showroom in January, that was made in January of the same year. Usually around September is the dividing month. August 74 for a 74 model year. Sept 74 for a 75 model year.

I got a lock smith to make keys for my 65 Honda 90. Took the steering lock to them. Same key for ignition.

UK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I guess that kind of changes my question a little. The title says it’s 1975 but no model number so I used a VIN decoder to try and figure out the model number, which gave me the TX500A. I know the bike is a 75 so does that make it a SX500? I can’t find anywhere 1975 TX500, but I can find 1975 SX500.

Most of the bikes sold in the first 4 or 5 months of any year, were made the year before. Hard to have a new bike in the showroom in January, that was made in January of the same year. Usually around September is the dividing month. August 74 for a 74 model year. Sept 74 for a 75 model year.

I got a lock smith to make keys for my 65 Honda 90. Took the steering lock to them. Same key for ignition.

UK

·
Vintage Rider
428 Posts
What you have is an 1975 XS500B based on the Vin #. Yamaha introduced the TX prefix in '73, even changing it on the XS650 (for 2 years) which already had a stellar reputation. But Yamaha feared the TX500 and TX750's released in '73 had such a bad reputation that it went back to the XS prefix in '75 in attempt to distance itself from those first trouble prone releases. Here's some info on your model.
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xs500 74.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts