Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

Im using the vinegar approach to cleaning my tank and it works great, I can see bear metal in my tank. The problem is when I get the tank clean the rust keeps coming back, almost like its forming a thin layer of rust.

Any input would be great!
Thanks

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
I'm sure an expert will chime in here but my first thought is try giving it a light spray of light oil immediately after rinsing it out to coat the bare metal before it starts to rust. The oil would displace the water and coat the metal as it dried.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I'm sure an expert will chime in here but my first thought is try giving it a light spray of light oil immediately after rinsing it out to coat the bare metal before it starts to rust. The oil would displace the water and coat the metal as it dried.
^^^ You're now an expert. :71baldboy:

That flash rust happens QUICK, doesn't it? I use WD-40, but any light oil will do. If you don't have any light oil mix a little motor oil in some kerosene and slosh it around in there.

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
Oh no, your not getting away with calling me that, we all know what an "Expert" really is.

EX..a has-been
SPURT..a drip under pressure
:p

^^^ You're now an expert. :71baldboy:

That flash rust happens QUICK, doesn't it? I use WD-40, but any light oil will do. If you don't have any light oil mix a little motor oil in some kerosene and slosh it around in there.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
That's exactly what WD-40 was invented to do - displace water and keep steel from rusting. Get a can of it in pour-in form, not spray, and pour it in, shake the tank well, then put the cap on..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rust sets in so fast, Last week I got all the rust out of my 1975 xl350 then an hour later it was all back, will the wd40 stop it from coming back all together. In other words whats a permanent fix?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts